Building my own door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have always wanted to go about building my own door, mainly as an artistic venture and so there is no other door like it. I was wondering if there is anyone who can recomend a good book to buy about the basics of building an exterior door, or if you have ideas that I might be able to use would be great as well. I really would like to find a book, mainly so I can put it in my personal library for future references if my DOOR venture goes well. Hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
I doubt there's any one book, you need to look at several or ask here

Great post but why build your own door. I lived in New Jersey for a number of years and there is no doubt the US standard of house building is far superior from the UK standards. You hang a door in the US there is no scrimping and saving. They say what they want and you deliver. In the UK you need to show people umpteen brochures before they choose the cheapest door available.

MaktaMan, I think Litle italy already said why to build your own door.

Sometimes we do things for the challenge and to say at the ends of it that we did it.

Call it a creative outlet.

Sponsored Links
I've just built my own garage doors. The first took a little time, while I worked it all out, the second was pretty quick.

The only thing I would do differently is to use tenon joints - I used biscuits and metals plates and it's not as strong or as pretty to look at.

Anyway In summary - can't recommend a book, but can recommend having a go - there's a certain sense of satisfaction when it's hung!

heeelllooo Littleitaly52 :D :D :D

may i suggest you tackle somthing easier first to get used to mortice and tennons routers and accurate work

your aiming to build a complicated door [for an amature ]to tight tolerences that must be to a minimum strength for security reasons
and survive all that mother nature throws at it so you need to select your timber well to make shure its done all its mooving :D :D :D ;)

You sometimes find suitable books in second-hand or antique booksellers or maybe in your town's library - I had one from a Victorian joiner once, very informative.

Personally I wouldn't attempt anything showier than a gate or shed door ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back