Building plantation shutters - Plywood or MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Im planning on starting a project to build some plantation style shutters for my bay window. In the plans i have, they use plywood, but I'm thinking it may be easier to work with MDF. Is there a reason you wouldnt use MDF in a project like this? These shutters would be on the internal side of the wall.
Many thanks,
Joe.

Sponsored Links
I would expect the ply to be less likely to sag than the MDF. That said, I have never seen them made from anything other than solid timber. I would also expect the swivel pins (read: holes) in the MDF to be very weak. I am only guessing though.

Professionally made shutters are available in hardwood,MDF, and UPVC.
It would be hard to replicate mdf in your average workshop due to complexity of machines required.Depends what you mean by Plantation style ? Will they be louvred ?

Hi @foxhole,
Yes they will be, kinda, the plan would be to use something like 9mm sheet of Plywood/MDF and chamfer the edges with a router.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi @foxhole,
Yes they will be, kinda, the plan would be to use something like 9mm sheet of Plywood/MDF and chamfer the edges with a router.
Thanks.
Might make the doors very heavy and the louvres alone could take many man hours to complete.Have you looked at buying louvred doors and adjusting to fit .?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back