Fitting plantation shutters to a plasterboard wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

We've just found out that we have twins coming and so I am trying to prepare the nursery. We are trying to keep the cost down but would like to fit California/plantation shutters into our proposed nursery. I am a complete novice when it comes to fitting these things, so please be patient - any advice would be gratefully received.

I have had a look at a couple of videos on how to fit shutters to a wall but none really show how to fit them to a plasterboard wall.

On early inspection, our window is recessed but we will have to fit them outside the recess due to the way that our windows open. The plasterboard appears to be hollow - and I am doubtful that studs exist behind the wall (I am not sure how to check this but the shutters come with pre-drilled holes anyway so I wouldn't be able to drill anywhere other than where is predetermined.

How do I go about fixing these - I have heavy duty plasterboard wall plugs I think they are toggles - you straighten them out and then they spring back to shape behind the drilled hole. Are these or redidrive better?

I can't glue wooden batons to the wall or the shutters will not sit flush against the recess.

Any help would be gratefully received!!

:oops:

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pics of the walls, and the windows - presumably - and the span(s) you wish to cover...pinenot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back