Building Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been having my mid terrace, 2 bedroom house (built 1935) re-rendered with old pebbledash taken off.

The wall (single brick) at the front on the 1st floor bay window came through to the bedroom where they were taking the pebbledash off. Also, unfortunately on these houses where the window angles round there is nothing connecting the angled wall section to the main front of the bay. You have the vertical wooden frame of the house at the agle, but the two walls don't connect, so are falling forward over time.

My question is this. They have taken out all the brickwork and have put in supporting joists under the window. This is then covered by ply wood, which will have celotex insulation and then felt followed by mesh and render.

It seems strange they are not replacing it with brick, but of course I don't know about building. Does this sound right?

Cheers,

Tim

Sponsored Links
When re-covering a building's exterior, whether it be render or cladding. It's good practice (and in many cases a requirement of building regs) that the insulating properties of the wall are uprated.
Sounds like they are achieving this whilst maintaining the wall's current thickness.
Increasing the depth of the wall by adding insulation onto the brickwork is how it's usually done, but causes problems with roof overhang/guttering/window frames n sills. As they all end up sitting too far back, with the wall protruding too far forward.

Never heard of it done this way but certainly not a bad idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back