Building raised beds for vegetables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to construct a couple of raised beds for growing vegetables, but I'm not really sure which timber to use. My first thought was treated boards, but after a bit of research, I was put off by the chemicals infecting the soil. All the different information available just does my head in, so I thought I'd ask on here for advice from people who have built raised beds or do build them. Thanks :) [/b]

Sponsored Links
pressure treated with a preservative (sometimes called tanalised) which won't damage your plants.

I'm wanting to make a few this year on a bit that has absolutely no soil, but surely 1 sleeper high(200mm) won't be enough so I'll need double height but at least if I do this I can bond them together at the corners with suitable bar/rods. Might put in a terram liner but each will take a fair bit of soil to fill them.
Other alternative is to do it in blockwork- has it's pros and cons suppose timber is far quicker and better looking, but blockwork can be varied in size to suit and will last longer.
Would putting some H/duty polythene/visqueen around the inside of the timbers prolong the life significantly or have a detrimental effect?(ie any water that got between the polythene and timber would be trapped)

Sponsored Links
Old scaffold boards are as good as anything, and you can sometimes pick them up for nothing. Even if you have to buy them new, they are likely to last at least 10 years and so can be good value for money (but shop around, the price can vary dramatically according to location and quantity, and be sure that the prices inc VAT). They are already treated (tanalised) but it is well worth giving them a thick coat or two of preservative, especially on the end grain, before laying them down.

lining them with dpm is a good idea.

I have never seen tanalised scaffold boards and they are more expensive than new treated sleepers round my way because they are so highly graded for strength.

new sleeper 3000mm long about 14 quid scaffold plank only 2400 long and 15 quid

I would imagine you probably do know where they deliver seeing as you clearly work for them dredging up old posts on forums.

:rolleyes:

Scaff boards cheap enough, or use 7x3 8x3 or 9x3 treated timber from builders/timber merchant.

give dingwall sawmills a call and see if you can buy some 2 sided cants off them. they also have pressure treatment facuilities.

they are like the rustic 1's in that link from sleeper supplies

good luck

they used to do their own interlocking kits aswell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back