Building Reg for internal partition (and ceiling) in barn??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking at signing my first commercial lease. Aside form all the pitfalls that come with leases etc, there is one element that I'm slightly confused by.

Essentially I wish to take the existing large open space and place a single partition wall across part of it. The wall will have an internal door into the other part of the barn and all electrics will be of the plug-in variety (including low-voltage lighting). There is no mains water or gas within the barn.

There are existing doors in both the partitioned area and the remaining area, thus I believe that by connecting the two together I still provide a means of escape via either the internal door or the external door in whatever section.

The complication comes with the ceiling I wish to place over the partitioned area. I wish to do this because I'd like to heat (via plug-in heaters) the partitioned space during the colder months, and given that the barn has 7 metre high ceilings I have no hope in heating the entire thing.

I was hoping to construct all of the walls and the ceiling out of timber and ply which would then be painted.

1) Is this controlled work, i.e. do I need to notify the council of these works? (The barn is not listed despite being 17th century).

2) Do I need to conform to any special regs regarding the structure and materials used in the walls?

3) As above but with regards to the makeshift ceiling.

Many thanks in advance,

Doug

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back