Barn Conversion - Planning Required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have a two storey barn which is attached though a internal door to our house (Though this is only recent in last 2 years with an adjoining small extension)

This barn has no specific classification as a separate entity agri etc, and has been a garage for around 20 years.

We would like to convert the top part of this into a home office, utilising a small area in the lower part to house a hallway and stairs. We know structurally the most efficient way of doing this will likely build a steel frame inside, on pads etc, tied into the existing walls and roof, allowing rooflights to the rear, there would be no changes to the external appearance with exception of these.

We are based on Wales so I now there are a few different rules, any thoughts on if planning would be required. I believe it would be but some second opinions before talking to our (generally unhelpful planning office) would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Well, I don't know, but I'd always go with the rule of in in doubt, ask for permission. If the planning office are unhelpful and it is not allowed, you might find things end up costing a lost more than the planning application fee.

One hint that it might not be allowed under PD: "outbuildings cannot exceed more than one storey"
https://beta.gov.wales/planning-permission-outbuildings

I know it is already there, but that provides a signs that any work might fall out of PD.

But, if it is thought of as part of the property ... maybe that would be a loft conversion?

Planning Portal might help ..

As it is existing and connected through an internal door I think it would be best classed as part of the house (rather than an outbuilding which is detached) and therefore similarly classed as a garage, rather than a "barn" even if that was its historic use.

This means you won't need planning as they are just internal alterations - unless you are doing something not within PD to the external parts of the building (similar to how you do not need planning to change a garage into a home office, but say might if you were adding window to the front). This is assuming it is not listed nor in a conservation area, and assuming no restrictions on its use under previous applications etc.

I'm also assuming it isn't currently used as an actual barn or for agricultural use, of for other non domestic purpose - if it is then it is change of use and planning may be required for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back