Class q barn conversion - combine 2 buildings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im just seeking advice. We have 2 buildings that stand about 1 meter apart. The first is a reasonable sized half metal half blockwork barn and the second is a lambing shed again half metal half blockwork.

The ideal is to join the two buildings and convert them "according to class q requirements". The issue i have is that when i speak to consultants (2 so far) all they keep saying is that i need to demolish the small barn and class q "should" be fine for the second.. this is not what i need though as the 2 combined would 1. Look great and 2. Result in enough space for a house. Doing what the consultants suggest just ruins the entire project.

I dont want to come across as combative towards them but i just feel like they are either not knowledgeable enough for this (as its 2 buildings) or cant be arsed discussing or providing reasons why joining the two is a nono ??

In an ideal world i would put a modern 1m glass framed tunnel joining the two... but is this really such an issue ??

Someone has suggested just joining the two wjth a few breeze blocks as they show as joined on my deeds.. and it would avoid any issues

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is our potential long term home and in my view a no brainer for planning but im really struggling to figure out the best coarse of action

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Sponsored Links
The maximum floor area you can convert is 465m². You can convert any buildings up to that (subject to the other requirements of part q) but anything over will have to be demolished. Your problem is that you cannot extend or build anything new under part q. So infilling the gap will not be allowed.

Thanks jeds the size is way under this even with both buildings. Am i allowed to make repairs to the barn prior to class q ?

Sponsored Links
You can carry out ordinary repairs, subject to the normal planning laws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back