Building regs and work in a 3rd storey room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My partner and I have just started what is turning into a massive renovation project on a 3 storey late victorian semi. I have been reading here for a few weeks now as we have been planning and doing work, much excellent advice to be found, thanks! PArt of the work we are planning to do is in the 3rd storey room.

This is essentially an attic room, however it is original to the house. What we plan to do is remove the existing lat and plaster non load bearing walls, which are in need of replacement, and push them further back into the eaves to increase the floor space. We will also remove the lat and plaster ceiling and replace this, insulating above it.

We are replacing the ceilings throughout the floor below and will replace with firestop boards, and will insulate under the 3rd storey floor for noise.

We are also hoping to install an ensuite bathroom in the room, and possible a dressing room area - basically walling off one end of the room, and dividing it in 2 for the 2 purposes. These will be stud walls, again we would happily insulate for sound if BRs require.

We know that we need to inprove the safety aspects of the current stairs - they are sound in themselves but need better handrail, banister etc at the top.

currently, there is no fire esacpe window in this room. The previous owners replaced the windows but there are only 2 small top openers in the gable end window, currently the only window in the room, they did not have a compliance cert for the work - but they bought an indemnity policy against issues caused by any non compliance prior to our purchase of the house. We would also be fitting at least 2 velux windows - 1 into the ensuite and 1 into the main room. These could be escape windows if required.

If the existing window proves a problem, might we be able to claim on the indemnity policy in order to make right?

We have no real issues with making the structure safe/up to modern standards in the work I have described above, TBH it seems sensible and not OTT as we are taking floors and walls and ceiling out anyway.

What really concerns me is the need for fire doors all down the escape route, when doing a loft conversion. We are NOT converting, we are making non structural alterations to an existing room. To put in fire doors throughout the escape route would mean changing virtually every original

So my main question is this, would this be seen as work which would necessitate the adding of fire doors?

Are there any other alternatives that might be acceptable?

As the walls are currently unsound in the 3rd floor room, and require replacing if we were to replace them in exactly the same place and not install the ensuite and dressing room, would this make any difference?

We are going to see a BCO tomorrow, but it seems that their responses can vary so thought it might be wise to be a bit forewarned of the possible issues and solutions available so we can have an informed discussion with them.

Any help greatfully received!

Thanks

DM

Sponsored Links
If the house is originally a 3 storey house then you do not need to comply with conversion regulations. What you can't do though is make anything to do with fire protection and means of escape worse than it allready was.

Fire escape windows on the third floor are not a requirement of current regulations. If you are fitting extra windows though my advice would be to make them escape windows anyway - particularly if you don't fit fire doors all the way down. I would also strongly advise linked mains smoke detectors on each landing.

As the attic room is original, with respect to fire regs you are obliged to ensure the situation is made no worse than before you commenced any work so no need for an extra door or changing any of the other doors although fire escape from a third storey can suddenly become ‘quite important’ should the worst ever happen so think about fitting another door to match your originals if it can be accommodated. Obviously smoke mains battery back-up smoke alarms throughout would also be prudent but again not a legal requirement.

Not sure I follow the window scenario, what window/s were original and were these replaced or fitted new by the previous owners and when?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess putting additional rooms in could be considered 'making worse', will look into the escape windows for our designs.

We were definitely going to do the mains linked detectors throughout the house.

will we need to prove its orginally 3 storey?

Unlikely, besides the condition of the timbers, partitions etc should be self evident. You’re getting into a hot sweat about nothing, most Inspectors are fairly friendly/helpful.

Thanks FMT, sorry I missed your post, must have come as I was replying!

I think I've got myself in more of a flap over this than any of the other work we are doing because this seemed so simple but then I started reading all the stuff about conversion regs etc.

I assume the gable end window was original to the house, but 10 years or so agao give or take, the previous owners upgraded to UPVC, but have no cert to prove compliance. Looks like it was a bit of a bodge job done on the cheap if I'm honest. Our solicitor made her take out an indemnity policy to indenify us from any comeback from any lack of compliance.

All the windows they had fitted have a large non opening bottom pane and one or 2 small openers at the top. I always thought that you had to have at least one large opener upstairs for fire escape.

Cheers!

Dividing a room to form an en-suite won't be creating any additional habitable space, and bathrooms are usually exempted from exit requirements for internal rooms.

However if you are pushing back the side walls into the eaves you will be creating additional habitable space and that new habitable space may require to comply with current standards.

Also, unless you've had a structural engineer confirm the side walls are non-loadbearing it would be unwise to assume you can remove them. They are quite likely to be an integral part of the roof construction.

We had a structural engineer out to do calcs and plans for the removal of a structural wall, and we asked him to check these walls too.

They are definitely not load bearing, in fact if anything they add load to the roof, he said.

Will have to see what BCO says about pushing the walls back and the regs I guess. My real concern is the fire doors issue, so if we can avoid that then that's the main thing for me.

Thanks

Hi All,

So went to see the BCO on Friday.

As some of you predicted they were OK - seemed a bit grumpy at first at being confronted with a couple of DIYer's but once he saw that we had plans and a reasonable idea of what we wanted to do and what was required he warmed up a bit.

I think paniccing about it actually made it all seem like a great ,eeting, as we came away with actually very little to worry about.

Am putting together the building notice today for the first bits of major work to start this weekend!

So thanks to you all for your advice.

DM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back