Building Regs Approval for loft insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I am selling my house and the buyer's solicitor said I need to provide an indemnity policy because I added 200mm of top up insulation to my loft. Do I really need to get building regs approval to add insulation? It is not a loft conversion or boarded or anything just a run of the mill loft that only had 100mm between the joists, I just added top up over the top. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If all you did was add loft insulation then there is no need to get Building Control Approval, if they're dicks then send them a link to this: https://www.labc.co.uk/news/what-are-building-regulation-requirements-installing-loft-insulation

That said I did have something similar come up when I sold last time, in my case it was an indemnity for an old extension, it didn't matter that I provided dated google earth images showing how old it was and that it was well beyond any planning breach timescales by which they could take action, buyers solicitor would not budge, no indemnity no way forward, exasperating. Solicitors really are thick.

Sponsored Links
But you haven't touched the ceiling have you? In which case this is the more relevant passage you should take from that link:

There is no need to notify the local authority or gain approval under the building regulations if the insulation of the loft at ceiling level has not been required for specific reasons elsewhere in the regulations.

I see. I think the reason the solicitor is asking for it is because we did a small double storey side extension less than 50% of the size of the existing roof space. We did have Building regs for that work. I added insulation to the existing house years ago before the works took place but they are insisting I should have it for the old house too.

If all you did was add loft insulation then there is no need to get Building Control Approval, if they're dicks then send them a link to this: https://www.labc.co.uk/news/what-are-building-regulation-requirements-installing-loft-insulation

That said I did have something similar come up when I sold last time, in my case it was an indemnity for an old extension, it didn't matter that I provided dated google earth images showing how old it was and that it was well beyond any planning breach timescales by which they could take action, buyers solicitor would not budge, no indemnity no way forward, exasperating. Solicitors really are thick.
Thanks for the link. I understand now. As long as all you did is add top up insulation you do not need to notify.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back