Building Regs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, do you require building regs to insulate under ground floor of old house, also what are your thoughts on laying fibreglass on top of existing joists and replacing boards, thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Never heard of needing regs to insulate an existing property.. A new build yes, but not an existing.. To be sure, because all councils seem to differ these days, just ring your local council, ask for building regs, they will tell you..

Never heard of needing regs to insulate an existing property.. A new build yes, but not an existing.. To be sure, because all councils seem to differ these days, just ring your local council, ask for building regs, they will tell you..

Strictly you do have to apply the regs if you do certain work on walls, roofs and ceilings in existing dwellings.
For floors, if you take up the boarding, or remove a screed, replacement becomes controlled work and the regs apply.

Sponsored Links
Please say you're a DIYer!

I was trying to help buildersbutt with his question.....

The easy answer is just call your local building regs and ask, you would get 100% correct advice, as opposed to 10 different anwers from 10 different builders or DIYers such as "freddymercurystwin"

It's just the wrong question to ask on here, ask the people who know about you area.

Here, where i live we have been hit by floods 3 times in 2 years and regs have changed, in fact we can't do any new builds until Yorkshire Water give us certain promises it won't happen again..

As regards insulation for your requirements, you can lay 20 -50mm kingspan or similar between your joists and board over. If you call Kingspan they will give you the exact thickness required once you give them dimensions of room and tell them if the walls are insulated etc etc....

If you're not sure..

Just ask your local council !!!

utter crap
The question was answered 100% accurately by tony, this website is a source of information for DIYers, your suggestion to phone his LA is hardly helpful is it? By the way as you may have seen on my profile when you called me a knob (impressive) you'll know I answer on here as a professional unlike a DIYer pleb like yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back