Building Regulation Changes 1st October 2010

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I understand from my builder that the building regulations changed on the 1st October 2010. Can anyone either outline the salient points in the changes or point me to a good resource that explains them.

I am specifically interested in changes related to the build of extensions on existing houses (built circa 1930).

Also if we were given the green light from building control prior to 1st October 2010, but did not obtain the permit to build are we covered by the old or the new regulations?

You may already be aware but my understanding on this is fairly limited, but I need to get educated on it very quickly!

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
I understand from my builder that the building regulations changed on the 1st October 2010. Can anyone either outline the salient points in the changes or point me to a good resource that explains them.

And save you doing the leg work? Nooo chance :p You will just have to see for yourself and not ALL regulations changed. Have a look here...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...gs/technicalguidance/bcapproveddocumentslist/

Also if we were given the green light from building control prior to 1st October 2010, but did not obtain the permit to build are we covered by the old or the new regulations?

If your BR application was deposited prior to 1st October 2010, then your works will be checked against the old(er) regulations.

My local authority (Plymouth) have said that provided it was submitted for approval before 1st October the old regs will apply for 1 year ie until 1st October 2011 however I do not know if this national.

If applicable the new changes for extensions are fairly minor and should have a minimal impact. Here is a rough outline of the changes: http://www.cannockchasedc.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=598 the one with most impact will probably be Part L (heat loss) which basically means you'll need slightly thicker insulation than before. The regs can all be downloaded if you wish: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/buildingregs/technicalguidance/ the specific changes, if you're that interested, are to be found by comparing the old and new regs referring to the amendment slip on the first page of the new documents and looking at the new numbering changes listing the contents.

FMT... Your LA is Plymouth, but you're from Sussex? I'm sure that used to read Cornwall!?! :confused:

Sponsored Links
FMT... Your LA is Plymouth, but you're from Sussex? I'm sure that used to read Cornwall!?! :confused:
I live in Plymouth which also borders Cornwall and run my own company however I'm currently contracting for a firm of Architects in Sussex so am burning the candle at both ends atm. ;)

Thanks freddymercurystwin and DevilDamo

I don't mind doing the leg work just needed to know where to look :D

There is one thing about the process we have gone through that I do not understand. Once planning permission was granted we submitted our plans to for building regulations. They came back saying no problem due to a new boiler being fitted and plans to insulate the exterior walls and underfloor of the existing house.

We assumed (assumption is a fatal mistake...) that we had both panning and building permission and could go ahead.

Our builder has then come back saying that he has submitted for a permission to build and they have said that it is no longer granted.

I am not worried about not getting it as I think what we are doing goes much further than the current regulations in terms of insulation and efficiency but it is the time delay and possible extra costs as a result that I am worried about.

Is the granting of building regulations actually the permit to build? and as such we have jumped the gun or are building control going back on their word?

A little confused

Thanks for any help

Matt

Our builder has then come back saying that he has submitted for a permission to build and they have said that it is no longer granted.
Please expand on this statement I do not understand. are you talking Planning or Building Regs now?

I am taking about Building regs. he said we needed a 'permission to build' certificate?

We have planning permission passed and a letter of approval so that side is all fine.

Matt

I have never heard of a Permission to build Certificate. So have you submitted a 'full plans application' ie plans showing the specification etc have been submitted to Building Control for approval by them?

Yes, we submitted full plans, specification of the build, materials we would use, the OS Map of the location, payment etc.

We sent it all last week, they came back with a question about an old boiler we are removing and the specs of a new one we are installing and then came back and said everything is okay and were happy for us to go ahead obviously with the relevant site inspections during the build. This was all last week before 1st Oct

My builder was due to start this morning but he called me yesterday to say that he had contacted them for a 'Permission to build certificate' and they had said that we could not start as it needed to be assessed under the new regulations

Matt

OK I guess your builder is referring to an ‘Approval’ which is basically an approval of the submitted plans that may have conditions attached if anything is not quite right with the submission. As long as whoever did the drawings is not a bungler and the build is fairly simple then there shouldn’t be anything to go too far array and the build should be able to start without the approval in your hand so to speak. Whoever submitted the application should have talked you through the process really, have they been paid to act as your agent? If so then get them to find out what the hells going on. With respect to whether they uses the new regs or the old then it will depend on your actual local authority and exactly when they registered the application. I feel you are gonna have to get on the phone yourself to building Control yourself if people are letting you down and you want to know exactly what’s going on.

Simple answer... why don't you contact your BC department and ask about starting works?

If you haven't yet received an approval, you can still proceed with the works... at your own risk. Just make sure you (or the builder) calls out the BCO to inspect at the different stages of the works.

It turns on when the application was registered rather than submitted.

If you submitted a full plans application before 1st October and it was registered before the 1st then it should be determined on the old regulation. If there was missing information (i.e. the boiler info) which meant the application was registered after the 1st then it will be new regs.

I've no idea what a 'permission to build' is. If it's the normal building regs approval you won't get that for at least 5 weeks after registration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back