Building Regulations & Murphy v Brentwood District Counc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone ever found out their building regs completion certificate weren't worth the paper they were written on?

Sponsored Links
Basically we bought our house in June 2008. It has a 2 storey side extension to which a completion certificate was issued in April 2008. And so our roof is leaking, so we called our insurance. Insurance man comes out and says the roof is unsafe, could collapse at any time, does not meet building regulations and should never of been signed off - infact he can't believe it got signed off and reckons'' somebody took a back hander for this'' he wouldn't have his kids sleeping under it. Further more he advises we get a structural surveyor in as he says the damp course is all wrong too. It turns out the roof is being supported by a scaffold plank which has been screwed to the old gable wall, the new ridge bit sits on that. The roof isn't tied in, the ceiling rafters seems to be in 3 parts in some sections. The dampcourse is at or 75mm above ground level and the dpm is not fitted correctly as it isn't cut into the damp course. Council bloke comes out, says I'm not quite sure whats happened here. We get a letter from the councils insurer saying go whistle and quoted the Murphy v Brentwood case at us. I believe that the faults are so blatant something untoward has gone on. We have no builder to go back to as it was a 'self build' . Any advise or opinions? Oh we only had a valuation survey, as far as we were concerned it had only just had its regs signed off! We have written to ombudsmens - insurance and government........

Had a read. Just can't see how numerous dodgy bits of a build can be innocently missed! I mean a scaffold plank. ...the drawings called for truss rafters thats not whats here. Its just a triangle roof like you draw as a kid...

Sponsored Links
What do you think a scaffold plank is?

It is a piece of wood that has been stress tested and approved and is bound at each end by metal straps.

What do you think a scaffold plank is?

It is a piece of wood that has been stress tested and approved and is bound at each end by metal straps.

Looks like its screwed to the gable with a couple of screws. Theres no metal strap buts as its not a whole plank. The roof structure is sitting on the ceiling joists. No bolts anywhere only nails. The ridge beam just sits on top of the scaffold plank, it doesnt go into the wall at all so is the depth of a scaffold plank sufficient what is it 3 inches max?

The ridge beam does not need supporting on a conventional roof, the rafters and joist restraint do it for you.

However, you will often see a builder supporting the ridge whilst he is erecting the roof.

Building Control Officers are supposed to be professionals who should deliver a professional service. However, it seems to me you generally get two types of BCO; the ones who pick holes in everything you do, and the ones who turn a blind eye to every cut corner. In the Murphy V Brentwood case because there was only economic loss, the council were not held responsible, but where safety is compromised I think the council or original BCO should face much harsher penalties.

Can we have some photos please, I appreciate that how the roof was constructed originally was not their original question but would help the thread I feel..

well they are in an album called roof !javascript:emoticon(':rolleyes:')!

I think the problem is there is little or no support in the roof, no bracing or ties etc

Building Control Officers are supposed to be professionals who should deliver a professional service. However, it seems to me you generally get two types of BCO; the ones who pick holes in everything you do, and the ones who turn a blind eye to every cut corner. In the Murphy V Brentwood case because there was only economic loss, the council were not held responsible, but where safety is compromised I think the council or original BCO should face much harsher penalties.

I agree. And where it is blatantly wrong there should be some liability or else it makes a mockery of the whole point! Otherwise, Id like to apply for a job as a Building Inspector - you have no liability so why not, I'm sure my dressmaking skills could come in handy

well they are in an album called roof !javascript:emoticon(':rolleyes:')!

I think the problem is there is little or no support in the roof, no bracing or ties etc
Yes, that doesn't look like it would do the job of a ridge beam, which is required as it is a vaulted roof...and athough the span is quite small, the pitch is also quite shallow, so there is a risk of roof spread.

Those pics aren't amazing - have you got a camera with a flash?

The ridge beam looks like a concrete lintel? Has the lower part of it been painted and the rafters resting on the sides of it, or is the white/grey looking beam all that there is and the rafter ends rest on top of it? How much of the beam rests on the wall at either end?

Those pics aren't amazing - have you got a camera with a flash?

The ridge beam looks like a concrete lintel? Has the lower part of it been painted and the rafters resting on the sides of it, or is the white/grey looking beam all that there is and the rafter ends rest on top of it? How much of the beam rests on the wall at either end?

No its a piece of wood it looks like an old facia board. The end that sits on the 'scaffold plank'doesnt go into the wall at all. And the other end it goes in but no clue how far but do know its breeze blocks. The rafters are nailed in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back