Building regulations certificate for party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - the party wall in my loft is badly constructed (not straight and moves when pushed!) out of breeze blocks and I have been advised (by a structural engineer) to replace it with a fire proof stud wall. Unfortunately my neighbour is unwilling to do this as she has been advised by the surveyor who inspected when she purchased that it is not unsafe. She just wants to have the worst area rebuilt in fire proof bricks and to have the rest of the wall (it is separated by a chimney breast) strapped. She feels this will be cheaper (though has not provided a quote) and will mean we do not have to pay for a building regulations certificate. Can anyone advise whether my neighbour is right in thinking building regs will not be required if the wall is not completely rebuilt.
Also if we have the work done but my neighbour refuses to pay for building regs certificate could I arrange this in my name without her being able to get a free copy of the certificate from the council if she finds she needs a certificate in the future?

Sponsored Links
Hi. Certain repair works can be carried out without the need for Building Regulation approval. As such, if small areas of the existing breeze block wall was partially rebuilt with blocks/bricks then it would probably be that this would not require B.Reg approval. If the existing block wall was removed and rebuilt with studwork this would require B.Reg approval as you would be changing the nature of the construction of the wall. Careful detailing would also be required to ensure that the new wall, and any abutments, achieve 60mins fire resistance. There can also be issues with the party wall in the roofspace having to achieve a certain sound insulation (as flanking transmission can occur).

Any works to the party wall would need to form part of a Party Wall Notice agreement. As the works would jointly benefit both properties either side of the party wall it would seem reasonable that the cost of the works should be jointly funded by both properties.

As the works benefit two properties it may be that Building Control require applications for both properties, although their fees may be reduced to reflect the shared nature of the works.

If you believe the party wall is unstable, you may wish to speak to Building Control as they also monitor/control dangerour structures and may then require you, and more importantly, your neighbour to rebuild/repair the wall.

Just screw some sheets of supalux or masterboard to the wall on your side and be done with it. No building regs, no PW agreement, no fuss

Sponsored Links
thanks PMG - I have a detailed spec from the structural engineer and this conforms with your comment re sound insulation and fire proofing. Just need to persuade the neighbour that doing things properly will be better in the long run rather than trying to bodge it and save a couple of hundred quid - your comment regarding reporting the wall to building control is very useful. - J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back