Does Party Wall Notice Required Detailed Plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I ve finally received permission to build an extention and will need to serve a party wall on my neighbour who I know is difficult.

I am building one metre away from the boundary but it will be deeper then the existing foundations so party wall is required

My question is

1) Do I serve a line of junction template or something else
2) Do I need to submit plans or the work or can I simply provide a brief description
3) If I wanted to go to the boundary (but not on the boundary wall) does the document served change
4) if the neighbour fails to respond do I appoint a joint surveyor - Does she explicitly need to appoint her own independent surveyor and if she does appoint her own surveyor can I use him as a joint?

Sponsored Links
1 no unless you're building a new party wall. You will just need excavations within 3m that are lower than their foundations. I assume you're not otherwise working on the party wall.
2 just information about the excavations needed ie depth and position and the fact that you're going to fill them with concrete pretty sharpish.
3. No just the information in 2.
4 you just follow the procedures in the act. If their surveyor will act for both then it'll be cheaper for you. Just watch out for rip off surveyors just in it for the money.

Thanks a lot -

However I did not understand the answer to 1) - What document is needed to for a wall to be built all on my land?

4) I dont understand this - If neighbor fails to respond can I appoint a joint surveyor or it must be an independent one?

Sponsored Links
1 you serve a notice under section 6 - excavation, not line of junction.
2 you need to provide full plans and sections
3 yes, of the proposed work changes then the notice is not valid
4 you agree on a joint surveyor or each appoint your own. You will be unwise to use a surveyor chosen by the neighbour as a joint surveyor.

1 no unless you're building a new party wall. You will just need excavations within 3m that are lower than their foundations. I assume you're not otherwise working on the party wall.
2 just information about the excavations needed ie depth and position and the fact that you're going to fill them with concrete pretty sharpish.
3. No just the information in 2.
4 you just follow the procedures in the act. If their surveyor will act for both then it'll be cheaper for you. Just watch out for rip off surveyors just in it for the money.
They're all in it for the money, John.

1 you serve a notice under section 6 - excavation, not line of junction.
2 you need to provide full plans and sections
3 yes, of the proposed work changes then the notice is not valid
4 you agree on a joint surveyor or each appoint your own. You will be unwise to use a surveyor chosen by the neighbour as a joint surveyor.

Thanks a lot - I can see the notice says "The accompanying plans and sections show the site and the excavation depth proposed. And the intended works are:" so you are correct

Do you have an example of plans and sections by any chance please so I can see what is required and ask the technician to draw it out.

At what point do I agree formally with my neighbor through the party wall agreement where the boundary starts and stops and where my wall can go?

You use the same plans that your designer draws for the building regulations. He should know what is required.

The Party Wall Act can't be used to define the boundary. You should know that already, or agree it with your neighbour. Your building stays on your side of the boundary but can be anywhere, right up on it if you like. Your foundation can be across the boundary using the PW Act. But you need to sort all this out before you serve the notice.

You use the same plans that your designer draws for the building regulations. He should know what is required.

The Party Wall Act can't be used to define the boundary. You should know that already, or agree it with your neighbour. Your building stays on your side of the boundary but can be anywhere, right up on it if you like. Your foundation can be across the boundary using the PW Act. But you need to sort all this out before you serve the notice.

Thanks a lot woody - Much appreciated

if we dont serve a party wall then the neighbour can stop the work with an injunction or claim damages - Is that correct?

Is it generally encouraged to do the party wall?

Also woody it would be really helpful if you had an example of "plans that your designer draws for the building regulations". We have planning drawings and I know there is a difference

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back