Party Wall Act

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been approved planning permission for a small front extension, and have served a party wall notice to our neighbours as we will be within 3m, I do not know if we will be excavating deeper than their footings but was advised to serve the notice I did not think the neighbours would dispute this. However they are now both wishing to appoint surveyors which I am not happy to pay for as it is a small project especially if we do not need them! I have searched the internet and read that you can serve a precautionary notice under section 6 of the act. If we then start work and find we are going deeper we would need to stop work and serve the notice and follow the procedure. So does anyone know what this precautionary notice should say or does anyone have a template please?

Sponsored Links
The key thing is the depth of the foundation. If your new foundation is deeper than your neighbour's then you need to serve notice. It doesn't matter how big the extension is. My advice is do a trial dig on the boundary to see what depth your neighbours foundation is relative to yours. If it is fairly standard 900mm or so then just get on with it and aim to go to the same depth. No precautionary notice required.

Hi, I have been approved planning permission for a small front extension, and have served a party wall notice to our neighbours

It's a bit late now but you shouldn't have bothered and should have just got on with the job, particularly if it's just a small extension. The PWA is just a free meal-ticket for surveyors; fish your cheque book out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back