Party Wall notice clarification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have studied about party wall service of notices, serving awards and preparing schedules of condition, however, the following is not yet very clear and I would like your input please:
I have a semi and I am building an extension at the back, with the side wall going up to the boundary (wholly on my land with normal foundations extending to neighbours garden), so I am serving notices for adjacent excavation (3m), party structure notice, and line of junction notice. All clear so far. My neighbours are more than happy with us to go ahead, but just out of precaution for everyone, I have suggested to have a schedule of condition prepared for their property, as it's a 1920's so to make sure that no/any damage is down to our works. Now, the question:
Is a schedule of condition only prepared when the neighbour is in dispute (or does not consent to the works described in the notice)?
Can I just make a note in the notice that a schedule of condition will be prepared for their property, in which case their consent covers that as well?
What I find confusing is that notices come with 3 response options:
1) Neighbour gives consent (but no mention of schedule of condition)
2) Not consent & assign agreed party wall surveyor (who then creates schedule of condition and an award)
3) Not consent & assign their own party wall surveyor (who works with our surveyor to create schedule of condition and an award)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the neighbour consents that's it. You don't need to use formal notices or templates.

You can have the condition survey done regardless. I would suggest that you both jointly instruct the surveyor, and that way you can both rely on the report.

woody when you say instruct the surveyor, you mean a (possibly) structural surveyor, or a party wall surveyor? I am just wondering if a party wall surveyor can carry out a condition survey only, without being involved in the whole notice-to-award process.

Any old joe can call themselves a "party wall surveyor".

I suppose the same could be said for building surveys, but the crucial thing is that anyone doing the survey should be qualified and experienced to carry it out.

Think in terms of the survey you want, not the person you want to do it. You want a building survey, but a more targeted or limited one. Some with call these condition surveys, survey of condition, even structural survey of condition, but it will be just a limited form of a building survey.

Typically this will be carried out by a building surveyor. A structural engineer (there is no such thing as a structural surveyor) may be able to do this but they tend to focus on structural matters and may miss actual condition of things - e.g. blown plaster and rot.

Contact a building surveying firm or individual, tell him you want a limited building survey, to record the condition of properties as part of party wall work. Tell him that there is no party wall surveyor involved and this is a private instruction, and you want a suitable survey for this purpose. When you instruct someone, they should confirm back to you the purpose and the scope of the survey they will carry out, so that everyone is clear and the surveyor should word his report accordingly.

If you are building over or near to drains, and the drains belong to the water company, then they will require a CCTV survey. If the drains are private but shared, then it's up to you whether you have a CCTV survey but for completeness, they should be included.

Sponsored Links
' Any old joe can call themselves a "party wall surveyor" - good, I am a party wall surveyor then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back