Party wall notice consented but more questions from neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello forum members, thank you for reading this post.

I was hoping if someone could help.

We are building a rear extension and my neighbours have signed and consented to the line of junction, party wall, and excavation notices as its a semi detached property. She has sent us an acknowledgement letter confirming she is consenting to the proposed work and consented to all 3 notices.

Despite sending all the documents and drawings which were submitted to planning and building control before securing approval, she is asking for more drawings to be made and proposals to be drawn up before the work to be started.

The wall is going to be solely on our land and will not go on her property. The wall will be separated by existing fence by a few inches.

The neighbours have asked me to submit the following before the work starts

1. Section Drawing detailing the level difference between both properties. (I do not understand, if we are building entirely on our land why is it required) neither building control or planning officers asked for it prior to their approval. I will have to pay the architect separately again to prepare extra set of drawings.

2. Neighbour wants us to submit proposals to her to ensure stability of her sun longe and patio in temporary and permanent condition

3. Proposal to ensure the spread of foundation does not encroach her property.

4. A meeting with a project manager and contractor to discuss appropriate works as referred to in the party wall act 199 part 2 points 5 & 30 along other points arising (which she has not mentioned in her acknowledgement letter.)

I am OK with point 4. However the first 3 points will cost me additional money to be prepared and wondering if there is any law that requires me to send the above 3 prior to commencing the work or do I just send her the letter thanking for her support and advise her that these are not required by law or party wall act to be provided as the wall is solely on our property (about 5-10 inches away from our fence) and chat with builders will ensure to lay her worries to bed including builders insurance will be in place to ensure that if a damage is done to her property, it will be rectified by the builders and as per legal requirements set out in the party wall act 1999.

I am also going to appoint an independent surveyor to examine the condition of the property and a schedule drawn up for our peace of mind.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Lk.

Sponsored Links
You can supply whatever info you like but are not obligated to, neither are you obligated to meet any of the adjoining owners requests.

Your only obligation is not to cause damage to the adjoining property, how you do that is none of the neighbours concern - they had the option to influence things and didn't take it.

You can supply whatever info you like but are not obligated to, neither are you obligated to meet any of the adjoining owners requests.

Your only obligation is not to cause damage to the adjoining property, how you do that is none of the neighbours concern - they had the option to influence things and didn't take it.

Thank you Woody. Thats great news. I showed the letter to the builder today and he is of the opinion that its a conditional approval? I thought either a person can consent or dissent. Never heard of a Conditional Consent?

Sponsored Links
When you serve notice the adjoining owner can either formally agree (by reply) or disagree (by reply) or not reply and this is taken as not agreeing. There is no conditional agreement.

They may serve a counter notice, with some or other proposals but this needs to be in a set format and contain certain particulars.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back