Party wall notice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have been served a party wall notice by my neighbour for a loft conversion. My neighbour wants to make pockets using hand tools no deeper than halfway though his half of the party wall (it is a cavity wall) in order to insert 2 steel beams.
I have spoken to my neighbour and he has provided details of his builders liability insurance, he is also happy to sign a undertaking that should any damage be caused to my property that he will put right the damage, he has provided me with working times for the building works. He has also given me permission to enter his property to take photos of work throughout the works to make sure that he is adhering to the plans which he has also provided me with.
My question is should I just consent to the party wall notice or should I ask him to employ a surveyor to provide further information.
Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
It depends how much you don't like him.
If i understand correctly the only structure on the party wall will be an rsj on his side of the party wall (i assume it's a 9 inch wall).
To be honest that's standard for a loft conversion.
What could happen is a brick or two getting loose on your side.
Anything going wrong can be dealt with there and then.
A surveyor won't be there to supervise the work.

It is a 4inch block wall either side with a cavity. Does that make any difference than being a brick wall? Property is 1970s build bungalow and neighbours want to convert loft space.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back