Schedule of Condition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So basically, both neighbours have said verbally that they will consent to our party wall notice which I plan to serve soon.

The firm doing our work included the cost of their party wall surveyor to put together the letters for us to send them.

This surveyor has come back and said the following:

If a neighbour consents to the notice then this is officially the end of the party wall process in relation to their property.

However, we can still undertake a detailed photographic and written Schedule of Condition of their property (this protects them in the event any damage is caused and also protects you from mistaken claims). We provide two bound copies of the Schedule - Our fee for the Schedule is £495 plus VAT (assuming simultaneous access to all areas - additional visits are subject to an additional fee of £100+VAT per visit).

Duplicate printed and bound Schedules for other owners of the same property are charged at £50 plus VAT to cover reprographic costs).

Note: it is not a legal obligation to offer a Schedule of Condition as part of a consent however we as a practice strongly recommend it as being beneficial to both parties and we find it tends to encourage a consent. If this is something that you would like to offer to your neighbour(s), please let us know and we will add this to the notices.

The work involves building a side return wrap around extension. We are building walls across the boundary on both sides (ie no walls there already, just fencing). The main potential for damage is the neighbours patio on one side (bricks laid on sand), on the other side where the new wall goes is a flower bed.

I get the feeling this is a useful way for the surveyors to generate £1200 in fees plus any add ons for essentially a document with photos each side plus a report on the condition of these areas. This seems a lot of money for something which I think I can produce myself and go through with neighbours and get them to sign.

Id appreciate your opinions!

Sponsored Links
simonw247, Hi

From the far frozen north of this island where the Party Wall Act does not exist? it appears to me that this entire PWA thing is a pure money making Exercise designed to produce further money making litigation

Ken.

Sponsored Links
£495 is too much but the condition survey is important from your point of view. When you start knocking things about it is very common for neighbours to start noticing things they swear blind were not there before. I have lost count of the number of times I have dealt with complaints from neighbours, frothing at the mouth, claiming that walls were falling down because hairline cracks have suddenly appeared. In the vast majority of cases the condition survey shows that those cracks were in fact pre-existing and when the neighbours see this they are usually relieved and perfectly happy. Worth every penny of two hundred quid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back