Part Wall advice - neighbours extension/foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Looking for some advice please. My neighbour has served me with a Party Wall notice for their side and rear two storey extension. We live in semi detached 1930s properties (our properties are not attached to each other). Our house has already been extended fully at the side, also two storey, to our side boundary. Their proposed extension will bring their new wall/foundations within a metre or so of our side wall/foundations.

They have served a notice under the 3m rule. Their foundations are shown on the drawing as going approx. 1.5m down and they have stated they are not planning to underpin or further strengthen our foundations. Their builder apparently did our extension (before we moved in) and says that our foundations went down further than they should have done and are solid. However I have no record or drawing to show this.

In initial discussions with the neighbour, we indicated we would probably agree to the works subject to them paying for a Schedule of Condition. The 14 day response time is rapidly approaching and having done some research on the internet, I am now unsure whether it is more prudent to go into 'dispute' in order to force a Party Wall Award to be drawn up.

Does a PWA afford more protection to us than a simple Schedule of Condition survey? My main concern is around protection of our foundations during their excavations, and whether the PWA will control the building process better and ensure the builder follows appropriate measures to protect us.

Grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
There's a sense in which it offers *them* more protection. It makes little difference to your avenues of redress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back