Party wall disagreement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m in the process of having a loft conversion, had the plans and building calculations done but my neighbour won’t sign the party wall agreement, she says there will be too much noise?! I’ve been told by my architect that she cannot stop the project going ahead, before I get my architect or legal adviser involved ( more expense) does anyone know what my next move should be? As I want to get on with this ASAP.

Sponsored Links
If you have served a PW Notice, and the adjoining owner won't sign, then there is an automatic dispute and you need to appoint a surveyor to deal with the PW issues. The neighbour can appoint their own too if you both can't agree on a single surveyor. You pay for all this. You should have been advised on the process before you submitted a Notice. :rolleyes:

All it means is that it will cost you some money for the party wall award but at the end of the day they cannot stop you from doing the work.

I am going through this same thing at the moment.

Sponsored Links
The neighbour may well be able to dictate specific noise control measures (more expense) ways of working and working hours in any PW Award that is drawn up.

It may be best to have a conversation with the neighbour first and reach an informal agreement, even if that involves some sugar tax to sweeten the deal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back