Building work without building control - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our two up two down terraced house last year. My uncle who's a builder came and did lots of building work. Also a friend of a friend put me in touch with an electrician and heating engineer.

A year on, I find I'm supposed to have cetificates for things which I knew nothing about.....

We took out the chimney breast from living room and bedroom above and the stack is now supported in the loft by a concete slab,itself supported by gallows brackets.

Got the rewiring done and new boiler but no certificate. The electrician got a corgi registered bloke to come round who gave me a certificate for the boiler.

Given that everything is working fine is it worth letting the council know or is it the case that the longer I leave it the heavier the fine? Also if I do get people in to look at the chimney, wiring and boiler any ideas of how much it'll cost? For the electrics and boiler, will regularisation mean taking up the floor? Is a certificate necessary for the boiler?

Lots of questions, and I know I've been a bit stupid! Can anyone offer advice?

Sponsored Links
stuff the authorities, just make sure you put everything right before you sell.:cool:

that chimney thing with the gallows sounds a wee bit suspect though. :eek:

stuff the authorities, just make sure you put everything right before you sell.

How do you mean by 'put right'? :) You mean for as long as you're living on the house, don't bother about certificates and just obtain them prior to selling?

Well, we had our house valued not so long ago and they never mentioned anything about certificates. They just advised us to put an additional toilet in. To be honest, it would be difficult to obtain proof for such jobs if a registered building company wasn't involved.

Boiler certificate you have should be ok, however if in doubt have it serviced by a corgi registered engineer and all will be fine.

Electrics, if you want to be totally sure get them tested by a qualified engineer who can issue a certificate of confirmaty, about £50-£60 last time a heard.

Next the chimney, sounds suspect as mentioned by noseall, that wants looking into. Will probably require a better support than gallow brackets.

Sponsored Links
You can get a Structural Engineer to pop round and check over the gallows bracket arrangement, he will give you a report on whether it need sorting or not and make suggestions to fix.

Where is the chimney located? External wall / party wall / centre of house etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back