Built in oven help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

Okay so new on here but have seen some useful advice so thought I would ask you guys on my issue.

We have a Phillips Whirlpool AKG342 built in oven which I broke the temperature knob and stem (plastic) that goes into the cooker off. I called to try get replaced but obsolete so got to replace oven. Pur cooker and shower are on same trip switch and have since before we moved in over 5 years ago which we cant afford to get sorted yet as baby on the way. As long as we dont use cooker and shower at same time (which we dont) then we dont have problems.

Anyway what I need help with is replacing the oven. We have a flick switch on the wall above sideboard which we flick to then use the hob and/or oven. I have taken the current oven out its space and at the back is a black circular like casing with a thick grey wire going from the wall to black circle, a thick grey wire from hob to black circle and a black wire going from oven to black circle. When I take the casing off the black circular casing inside is like a big plug. It has 3 gold screws and from each of the wires mentioned above (2 grey & 1 black wires) are the live, neutral and earth wires (so 3 wires under each screw) and then the screws are tightened as in a plug.

My question is if I buy a oven which requires hardwiring is this already done from what the above mentions (obviously remove current oven wiring earth live and neutral wires and place new ones in there from new oven)??? If I buy an oven with a normal 3 pin plug on is it possible to cut this off wire this into the black circular casing in place of the current ovens live neutral and earth wires??

Hope the above doesnt sound too confusing and doh and that someone can help!!!!

Thanks v.much!!!

ADDED: Our current oven is 240v the new one is 230v - the black casing/junction is 250v & 30 amp - is this adequate? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Sorry one more question the space for an oven is 61x61x61cm our current oven is 59.6x59.5x54.5cm (HxWxD) would the space we have be adequate for the above oven?

Thanks again

My advice to you would be go to a scrap yard & get any knob with the same size hole in it as a temp measure & then get your electrics sorted out by a competant electrician before you buy a new oven. What you have is a complete lash up & your priority should be making the electrics safe.

Sponsored Links
Thanks jj4091 - do you mean the cooker and shower on same trip? This has been like this for years (before we moved in) we really dont have the cash to get it sorted as I can see it costing £100's and as I am on maternity we are struggling! Also I need an oven as we dont have any other means of cooking and it isnt just the knob that has broken it is the shaft that goes into the cooker and I have taken the cooker apart to see about replacing but it really isnt possible to do it easily and an electrical shop I called said the part I need is obsolete.

zipper - that is the part I found but it isnt just the knob that broke it is the stem/shaft that goes into the cooker.

I called to try get replaced but obsolete so got to replace oven.
They ban incandescent GLS lamps.

They tax fuel-guzzling cars heavily.

There are increasing calls to ban patio heaters.

When are the authorities going to force manufacturers to make spare parts available for a long time so that otherwise sound appliances don't have to be scrapped for the sake of a knob?

:evil:

Lol. I totally agree!!! There are other parts available for the oven model but sods law the part that breaks is no longer available!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back