Bullguard or Windows 10 anti virus software?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Windows 10 and originally bought 18 months of Bullguard anti virus for £43.94 which is running out in 5 days. Bullguard want £60 approx. to renew for 2 years. I could purchase one year for £14.49 on Amazon but would have to install it myself. Does anyone know if this is easy to do and would I have to uninstall the Bullguard version already on my computer? I am also being told the anti virus on Windows 10 is sufficient and don't need to purchase anything else so am finding this very confusing. Any help would be very welcome, thank you.

Sponsored Links
I haven't used Bullguard for many years so cannot comment on it's value, I have done the Buy from Amazon rather than pay full wack with Norton in the past and it simply identifies the old version uninstalls it and loads the new one without problems. I can't see Bullguard being any different.
I run Norton on two computers but the latest one I have just gone for the Win !0 free one seems OK so far.
Only thing I would say is there seems to be little in the way of customising you can do with Win 10 security while third party ones let you choose more options.
That said if you want a fit and forget system 10 security should do that.

I ran Avast on a Bullguard protected computer at work (after Barclays managed to stop a £5k fraudulent transaction).

Amazing what BG had missed that's all I'd say on the matter.

Download a free Avast trial, set it for a boot-time scan and see of anything comes up..

Many thanks for your reply, (footprints) it seems it may be easier than I thought. Again, thanks, Deirdre

Sponsored Links
And the Windows 10 free antivirus (Windows Defender) is as good as any of the paid for ones. You have to bear in mind that none of them are 100% effective and the virus writers will always be, at least, one step ahead of the anti-virus program writers.

pete50, can you please advise how do I go about using Windows 10 free antivirus, do I have to uninstall the Bulguard? Many thanks for your reply, Deirdre

If the third party security is uninstalled the windows one should turn on by default:)

Windows Defender tend to come out worst on most tests. Norton as good as any, and Kapersky is getting tainted by being a Russian company, but you want an Internet security software, not just an AV program, as they'll protect you from phishing sites etc. If you go to Start, then control panel, you can find Programs, and then click on the AV software you've got to uninstall it, but some software will do an automatic uninstall for you.

You can safely get software off of eBay, and it's cheaper than doing a renewal through the AV company, and whilst Norton will let you install the next years software before the end of the year, when you install Kapersky, it wipes out any unused days, and starts you from scratch. You can also get multi device versions for Norton, that will let you install it on your phone and tablet etc.

There are loads of review on the internet as to which is the best software, but be careful that some sites will push the software that gets them the most fees, so you want a review from a PC mag.

Windows Defender USED to come out porrly against other anti viri. Mainly because it wasn't that good then but also because a lot of the reviews were done by anti-virus companies. As I said any and all anti virus programs are not 100% effective, how can they be? Not even anti Virus program writers have a usable crystal ball yet and the virus writers will always be, at least, one step ahead. Norton will slow your computer down to a crawl. Out of all the anti-virus programs Norton is one of the biggest resource hogs. Oh yeah you don't think PC mags don't push their favourite paying anti virus? If you think that you are living in cloud cuckoo land. Anyway Windows Defender is now as good as anything and, as Footprints says, if you uninstall your present anti virus it will turn on automatically. To be honest whilst you do need an anti virus malware and ransomware are, by far, a bigger threat than viri in this day and age. Malwarebytes is a good free anti malware program.

Norton used to be resource hungry, but it's much more efficient nowadays, and with the speed of most computers, you'd be hard pushed to notice any issues. Yes, Defenders better, but I'm still cautious of it. Ransomware is a virus, and no, I'm not living in cloud cuckoo land, I used to do this for a living. You made a lot of good comments, and then ruined it with the insults.

No Way would I rely on windows defender…

Have a search for 'Antivirus' inn the web for suggestions - I've just done a search and your existing AV has a reasonable report. Up grading will be comparatively easy - in my experience by upgrading the license will sort out any changes etc.
Alternatively your ISP may have a AV deal or even supply for free.

A big thank you to all that replied to my query. After reading all your comments, I have purchased the Bullguard Internet Software package for £11.75 for one year and will install it myself. Thank you again everyone for taking the time to reply and for your comments which have been a big help. Deirdre

Sponsored Links
Back