Anti Virus Software

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to help me. I have Windows Microsoft Security Essentials on my computer and wondered if I should also have Anti Virus Software. I am having a problem with downloading updates and am getting messages stating that the files are corrupt on my computer - I have been getting help from Microsoft but it hasn't solved the problem.

Sponsored Links
Microsoft Security Essentials is an Anti Virus application, if you were going to install a different one you must un-install MSE first

There are many free ones available, Avast, AVG are famous ones

You say you have a problem with downloading updates and getting messages saying that files are corrupt on your computer

What makes you then decide you may need a new AV

What have MS said about this?

What files does it report as being corrupt?

What OS are you running?

Thanks for your speedy reply.I wasn't sure if I needed to have more than the MSE on my computer to keep it secure.
I have been in touch with Microsoft since the end of December - I can download some updates but the one I am having the problem with is KB 2419640 and then two days ago:- KB 2387149 both showing the same error message 80073712. (corrupt files)

I have been asked to down load the system file checker tool and various others. Do a sfc/scannow and send a screenshot. Also cmd and send screenshots. I might add that I have not got a clue what I am doing and just trying to follow their instructions to the best of my ability.

Help!

Try this

1) Open CMD prompt as Administrator (right click Command Prompt Programs/accessories select "Run as administrator")

2) Enter the following: takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml
(make sure you put in the spaces)

3) Enter the following, and type in your username in the designated
place: cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <EnterUsernameHere>:F

4) Go to C:\Windows\winsxs\ and rename the pending.xml file to
pending.bak

5) Run Windows Update again, and you should be all set!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help - I told you I hadn't a clue what I was doing. How do I find my username? I know I have a few of these I use on different web sites but not sure what the one I need is? What should I do? Sorry to be a nuisance.

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to help a novice computer user.. I typed in cmd and got a black box with:-
C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe written on the top and details of my computer in the box. I am assuming this is where I type in the codes etc you sent me which seems to be straightforward. However, I am not sure what to do where it says Go to c:\Windows|winsxs\ etc? Help!!!

hi mate,

Re "C:\Windows\winsxs\ and rename the pending.xml file to
pending.bak"

Easiest ways are:

on keyboard press the "Windows logo" key and press "E" at the same time, should bring up your Explorer window (which will enable you to explore/browse your files and directories)

or
Click on start then select run and type in "explorer"

Either way you should have an explorer window now.

2. Navigate to Windows\winsxs\ and look for pending.xml pressing 'p' will take you to files beginning with p. If your computer has extensions turned off you will only see the file called Pending maybe with a file descriptor as XML file.

Right click (right mouse button!) on the file and select rename. Rename as instructed, hit enter or click away from the file and it will be renamed.

Good luck :)

hi mate,

Re "C:\Windows\winsxs\ and rename the pending.xml file to
pending.bak"

Easiest ways are:

on keyboard press the "Windows logo" key and press "E" at the same time, should bring up your Explorer window (which will enable you to explore/browse your files and directories)

or
Click on start then select run and type in "explorer"

Either way you should have an explorer window now.

2. Navigate to Windows\winsxs\ and look for pending.xml pressing 'p' will take you to files beginning with p. If your computer has extensions turned off you will only see the file called Pending maybe with a file descriptor as XML file.

Right click (right mouse button!) on the file and select rename. Rename as instructed, hit enter or click away from the file and it will be renamed.

Good luck :)

I think the instructions are assuming he is not the owner of the file as it will be protected otherwise

You are not opening a typical CMD you are opening an elevated CMD with admin privelages, once you have this black window open type this exactly as ive put it

takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml (there is a space inbetween takeown and / as well as f and C)

then type this

cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <EnterUsernameHere>:F

Go to C:\Windows\winsxs\ and rename the pending.xml file to
pending.bak

If your stick on this by default file extensions are not visible so lets turn them on

1...open any folder
2...top left click "organise"
3...select "folder and search option"
4...when menu box opens up click on the "view" tab
5...remove the tick from "Hide extensions for known file types"

now you will be able to locate the file "pending.xml"

Try that and let us know at what point you get stuck

Did what you advised but when I had finished typing the first sentence the message:- The system cannot find the file specified - came up.

I tried renaming the pending .xml file and the computer wouldn't allow me to do this.

Help!

Thank you very, very much for taking all the time to help me. I am afraid I am too computer illiterate to sort this out for myself and will have to try and get someone to help me. (Female OAP)

Sponsored Links
Back