free anti virus software

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, ive been using avg up until recently, but now ive upgraded to windows xp professional it isnt compatible and had to be removed due to the problems it was causing. Anybody got any other recomendations for free anti virus software?

Sponsored Links
Hi Thermo,

I'm running XP Pro SP2 with AVG without any probs. Which version of AVG do you have? Mine is 7.0.300

it was the latest download. EVerything was slowing up with it. when the computer booted up to the windows desktop the icons were taking an age to come up.

i have xp pro and avg the latest download did cause a few probs, i uninstalled it, reinstalled it all now ok

Sponsored Links
Hi Thermo

Try Avast......
www.avast.com

It's better than AVG, and doesn’t slow your computer down as much as AVG. I have used both programs, but prefer Avast
Quick Fit

The only problem I have seen with AVG was that the server was always really busy (downloads timed out). Seemed to happen just after they released Version 7. They now have a new server which seems ok. Still, goes with the territory when you rely on free stuff.

Reading around the computer forums, a few people seem to get a bit of trouble with the latest version of AVG. Avast is quite highly thought of.

After doing a bit of reading regarding virus detection rates for the various antivirus programs, I settled on F-Prot. It isn't free but £15-00 a year isn't too bad maybe.

cheers, went for avast, so ill see how it goes. thanks for the help and advice

i stopped using AVG a long while ago and switched to NOD32 it uses far less resources and can complete a full scan in a fraction of the time.
it was highly recommended when i did some research at cnet.com and must confess ive had no problems with it missing a trick or conflicting with anything.

the bad bit is the free trial last for 30 days only then you get a nag screen to but or uninstall. i personally uninstalled the trial and retried it a couple of times to give it a longer trial before i parted with the £22 for the full progam

Sponsored Links
Back