Virus Trojan horse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am running windows XP with AVG free version.
I get an error message from the AVG Resident Shield, 'Trojan horse BackDoor.Agent.2.H
AVG cannot remove this, searching in the Web I found a link advising to turn off 'system restore' run AVG again. I have done this but AVG did not find the virus. Does this mean its been 'fixed'?
Usualy AVG will tell you what it has done, I had no messages.

Sponsored Links
Difficult one, had similar problem. I usually find it a good idea to move the file to the virus vault, and switch off the computer without shutting down straight afterwards, as the virus will simply copy itself again otherwise while it is still in memory. I have had a virus in the backdoor series before. I also suggest you use a firewall, and switch off any Messenger/RPC services that are not used.

We have discovered several occurences where AVG has failed to fix problems. Invest in something else, NAV/F-Secure. Worth the few quid.

i had a similar problem, avg found it, said it was there, but could do nothing.

i "seached" for the virus name (as said by avg) and manualy deleted it

Sponsored Links
Turning off system restore and running Avg :D does fix the problem. dont forget to turn system restore back on after running AVG

When I turned sys restore off & tried to run AVG received message about a missing component. Re installed AVG still had same error, so could not run AVG from safe mode.

Anyway I have spent many many hours trying things rebooting every time, eventualy its gone. THen got another error ''WJVIEW' this has taken about 4 hours to remove.
Touch wood now is all ok.
If I were to use the companies PC for their work, I dont suppose I would have had these problems, but that would be boring.!!!!!!!!

A trojan is not a virus.
A virus replicates itself while a trojan is used to infiltrate your system and allow its originator to take control of some functions.
A Back Door trojan is designed to allow someone else to do anything they want on your computer from deleting files to installing keyloggers so that every keystroke you make. This is mainly to steal your passwords for online financial transactions (your bank account details are seen as is your credit card number)
Trend housecalls provide an online antivirus scanner which also removes many trojans.
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
A dedicated trojan cleaner can be downloaded on a 30 day free trial from www.moosoft.com
Download The Cleaner then install and run it.

Dewy..Thanks..Downloaded Moonsoft..It found Trojans & removed them..AVG then told me it had Trojan re ran that found 1 that it couldnt remove..Rebooted Ran Moonsoft again all ok..Following day AVG reported Trojan, but couldnt remove Moonsoft saw nothing.

Now touching wood no errors reported PC appears faster.

Many thanks again..

Steve

Dewy said:
A trojan is not a virus.
A virus replicates itself while a trojan is used to infiltrate your system and allow its originator to take control of some functions.
A Back Door trojan is designed to allow someone else to do anything they want on your computer from deleting files to installing keyloggers so that every keystroke you make. This is mainly to steal your passwords for online financial transactions (your bank account details are seen as is your credit card number)
Trend housecalls provide an online antivirus scanner which also removes many trojans.
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
A dedicated trojan cleaner can be downloaded on a 30 day free trial from www.moosoft.com
Download The Cleaner then install and run it.

You obviously haven't heard of a Trojan Virus?

Trojans fit under the category of Virus as some Trojans do have the capabilities of viruses.

Even though AVG is free, users should invest in a much better virus scanner such as NOD32 which is really proving to be no1, its awards can verify that. Some folk may disagree but tests show and those that I perform as part of my job indicate that NOD32 wins due to its detection rate. Freebies may due the job but compared to those that you pay excluding Norton which is terrible offer much better security.

Definitions of viruses, worms and trojans are not clearcut, and people disagree on them. So feel free to disagree with this.

To me, the broadest definition of a virus is software that installs itself without user interaction, and causes a loss in performance or functionality of the computer. As you can see, a trojan therefore is not a virus. With a trojan, the user is to believe that it is a "normal" piece of software. They run it, thinking it is safe, THEN it attacks the computer. Hence it's unabbreviated name, a "trojan horse" program. Remember, the original trojan horse was left outside the city walls!

As I said, people disagree but the name "Trojan Horse" should give it away. :D

I think the most interesting case of a recent virus is the copy-protection software some albums install on a PC when played in the CD-ROM drive. It uses the Windows auto-run to install this software. If you look at the definition of virus then as you can see, record companies are infecting their customers' PCs!

1) No user interaction to install software (autoruns),
2) reduces functionality of PC (prevents viewing the audio session) and
3) possibly reduces performance (badly written software can do this).

Just thought I would leave this link for anyone that is interested.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

You need to download adaware personal. It is free and easy to use. No one month trial, just leave it on your computer and as soon as you feel it to be slowing or are just a little paranoid give it another scan.

I have told many people about this and received excellent feedback.

:p

ok any product other than a major name bought and paid for that is used to take out virus and trojans on your pc is in itself spyware this is well known you never get anything for nuffing buy a decent checker not shareware or free or u will pay for it in the longrun

Sponsored Links
Back