Firewall/virus software conflicting with internet!!!! help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just upgraded to windows XP, and installed symantec v9.02 anti-virus. I'm using is BT broadband basic or was until it started to drop off after a minute or so. It had been connecting and running fine for a few days, which allowed symantec to update and windows to download all of it's upgrades including sp2 which I think includes the firewall.

I'm not sure it was immediately after this but my broadband connects for a minute at most and then stops responding but is still connected. I spoke to BT they said the line was fine and the connection was good - they asked me to ping a couple of websites while connected (in dos???) and they worked fine sending and recieving everything. There conclusion was that it was a software conflict preventing me from viewing any websites and so wasn't their problem.

I tried uninstalling symantec - which didn't change anything. I've tried turning all security off - which doesn't work.

What else can I do, what settings can I change.......... HELP! Please.

I'd be most grateful for any help
Colin

Sponsored Links
you could try "system restore" in windows xp, saved my bacon a few times

Interesting. My BT broadband keeps dropping out and yet claims to still be connected too. Sometimes it'll stay up for days, other times I need to reboot every 10 minutes. Tried the same connection on 2 different PCs and both seem affected.

Given the fault 'moved' with the connection, I know where my suspicions lie. But I can't be bothered to moan about it as it's not affecting me too much. (Can be a pain if you are downloading a large file overnight though.)

Also, often after it goes wrong, I can't 'restart' properly. The PC gets part way to turning off then seems to freeze, and a power cycle is all that can be done.

Think I'll watch this thread in case someone has an answer.

PS I was asked if it occurred before they upgraded me from 512k to 2M, implying some PCs/modems have problems with the higher speed, but I think I had the problem before then.

Hi
Colin remove SP2 using system restore as breezer says, I installed sp2 once, it was the worst thing i ever did. Second, in future dont trust microsoft update. If a new fix is out wait at least a few months before downloading it just to make sure any bugs in it are sorted out before you download. Additionally, create a restore point before any update as windows has been known to be sleeping while installing an update and you may have to restore to a much earlier time. If you have an adequate firewall and AV program then i dont see the need for SP2. BTW, if i was you id ditch norton's bloatware and get the free AVG anti-virus programme and Sygate's Free personal firewall, you will probably discover a significant incease in your pc's speed as well. Also, remember to turn off windows firewall its crap! and can cause probs if you have 2 firewalls running.

Gary0, I bet your using bit tornado and a usb adsl modem. The shutdown problems are more than likely your p2p software and the usb modems hate having to work for any length of time and spit there dummies out usually while im in bed sleeping! I unfortunately am in the same boat as yourself .I just hope that ive been a good boy and santa gives me a an ADSL router and takes all of AOL's toys away for being naughty..lol

Hope that helps if you need further info pls follow up!
pc :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions.

Not heard of bit tornado, is it anything like bit torrent ? Not that I've had that either.

Have played with p2p s/w on occasion, but like any new toy, I got fairly bored with it after a while. But the Net loss problem still occurs even when not running p2p. Less frequently for sure (on average) but still happens.

Yes it is the standard BT Voyager modem supplied by BT that I use. I have a Belkin ASDL modem that I tried to get going at one time (as I was hoping to get a wireless link for the other PC sorted as well) but I was getting problems and so it's low priority now. Too much else to do.

But yes, I do like to leave the PC on (so I'm not as 'green' as maybe I ought to be :)) That's what I got broadband for, permanent access whenever I wanted.

So you believe it is probably a modem design deficit ? Maybe I'll find the time to try to get the ASDL one going again sometime soon. It's just that last time I tried there were certain sites I could no longer get to ! (No idea why.)

Hi Gary,
Yup I got the bt voyager as well, it's well sh**e. USB modems are renowned for cutting out.

Your Belkin possibly was not giving access to certain web pages (probably hotmail stuff like that) because there is a setting in the router setup called MTU if you set this at 1400 you should get access. Perhaps youv'e already tried this. But I think this works for a lot of people.

Let me know how you get on

pc

As you can ping to remote sites, try eliminating browser problems. Can you send and receive email for example or can you use MSN?

SP2 fixes many previous isses with XP and you'll find yourself having many more "unexplained" problems if you don't keep up to date with lates Microsoft service packs and patches.
Before you remove SP2 (which is stable now apart from a few known issues) simply disable the firewall which SP2 enables by default during the upgrade process and see if you can connect okay.

pc1962 said:
Let me know how you get on

Well let's try posting this again. Such fun to see a post try for ages to upload and then just get lost.

As I mentioned I don't have a lot of time to fix what is a minor irritation with the Net access, but I did put some time in this evening before I went on to the DIY.

Removed the Voyager, plugged the leads into the Belkin instead. Booted the PC, the Belkin wasn't automatically recognised. At least any attempt to use the BT login shortcut failed. So I guess it's some other thing I need to run. Searched the disk for 'belkin', found nothing.

So I'll have to find whatever disks came with it sometime, but for now I've gone back to the Voyager. Have saved your comments though, will sort it out when I can spare the time properly. At the moment, If I have a moment I'd rather be surfing than fixing :)

Cheers.

Hmm wonder what ever happened to Colin ?

Sponsored Links
Back