Bum

Sponsored Links
Ah, so the ten-week, rewire-your-own-house-course didn't actually include a basic understanding of final circuits, then?

Before you ask any more embarrassing questions please decide what it is you actually want to ask, get your terminology right and have a bash at expressing all this in English.

(Yes, I am in a bad mood... I've been out this morning, dealing with a customer who thinks he knows about electrics. :mad: )

Ding, tough luck - hate doing weekends in any event so I just relax by adding a bit of ascerbic to this board.

TTC

Cheers, TTC!

When will we get a series of Rogue Customers? Some people should not even be allowed to live in houses!

Sponsored Links
Funny how Bum gets past the US censoring software. I thought it was US slang for f anny...

dingbat said:
Some people should not even be allowed to live in houses!

I admire anyone who can work with house holders, all day, every day.

I could just about get used to all the other crap like carpets, layer upon layer of lino, built in furniture, laminated flooring, fibreglass and the heat in the loft on a summers day but I could never get used to some of the sad people that lurk behind a front door. :evil:

We only get involved in PIR's and that's more than for me now. :LOL:

I do it day-in, day-out, and have done for virtually all of my near-20 year career in sparking. But it does drive me nuts, and I have had a few disagreements with customers.

It is a situation that can flare up, where you march into someone's beloved home (that they think they've taken great care of, or not as the case may be) and tell them there are several "AT RISK" situations that put them in potential danger.

The usual response is "Well, it was alright until you came along" or "It's been like that for 50 years and not killed me yet".

My reply is "That may be correct, however it's been dangerous for 50 years, too"

This may seem a harsh response, but I need to impress on folk the importance of having work like this done. However, I seem to word it, it gets people's backs up.

Slider

See where you're coming from

As a spark I sometimes have a difficult time to convince customers of what is necessary. I have so far never failed - I am very conscious of customers perception of tradesmen and the bad press the minority have given us. I am honest to the point of refusing to do work where the customer won't pay for me to bring things up to a safe standard.

One of my stock answers is to remind people that we used to drive cars without crumple zones, seat belts, airbags, ABS, collapsing steering columns etc etc.

OK I'll get off soap box

Slider, It's a pity you deleted your post because I agree that sometimes true DIYers do get a hard time on here from some of the pros. It seems to be a new thing but I'm not sure why.

PS...you can you use that switch in a metal or plastic box. Forget the soldering just use push on crimps. (I read your other posts before replying ;) )

DESL said:
One of my stock answers is to remind people that we used to drive cars without crumple zones, seat belts, airbags, ABS, collapsing steering columns etc etc.
and i don't belive we try to force people to have those things fitted to thier existing cars just because they want to have some minor work done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back