bumpy concrete ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive decided to paint the outside of my home, at present it is an off yellow colour sprayed concrete, it looks like its never been painted before.
do i need to pressure wash it first of not?
what type of paint do i need to use ? we would like white
how many coats ?
when should i begin to paint it ? anytime of the year ?
roller or brush ??

thanks in advance !! :D

Sponsored Links
You should remove as much dirt as possible before painting. If that means pressure washing then you should be fine doing so, providing the surface is sound. Before doing that, if there is any algae present, use a fungicidal wash to remove it. If it is just light dirt, you often only need to give the surface a good brushing with a stiff nylon brush (not wire) before painting.

Use a good quality, smooth, trade masonry paint (Sandtex is my preference) and thin down the first coat (follow instructions on tin) to seal the surface. Subsequent coats may also be thinned by about 5% for ease of application. You will need to do at least two coats.

I don't usually start outside work until April but, if the weather is fair, you could start before. Try to avoid painting in extremely hot weather as the paint will dry too quickly and end up looking patchy. Spring and Autumn are the ideal times of year.

Cut in with a brush and then use a masonry roller with suitable sleeve for the thickness of the concrete coating (medium or long pile are normally used) to do the rest.

thanks very much misterhelpful, if you ever need any advice on your central heating gimme a shout !!

thanks again :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back