burned plug Creda tumble dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In my garage i have a fridge and a tumble dryer plugged into an extension lead which runs into the wall socket. Both the fridge and tumble dryer have been there for years. I just unplugged the tumble dryer and noticed that both the plug and the extension socket are both badly burnt. :!:

i inspected the plug, the live pin is very black and carbonized and the plug casing is cracked and burnt near the pin, the inside of the plug looks okay, all wires connected and intact, and the dryer is working okay

Obviously there has been some considerable heat at the plug, is it time to bin the tumble dryer before the garage goes up!

Im just reading the instructions and it states that after use switch off and REMOVE PLUG which is have not been doing. is it normal for a plug to heat up, and would i be okay to put a new plug on and remove as instructed going forward

Sponsored Links
coldshowerkid said:
Hi

In my garage i have a fridge and a tumble dryer plugged into an extension lead which runs into the wall socket. Both the fridge and tumble dryer have been there for years. I just unplugged the tumble dryer and noticed that both the plug and the extension socket are both badly burnt. :!:

i inspected the plug, the live pin is very black and carbonized and the plug casing is cracked and burnt near the pin, the inside of the plug looks okay, all wires connected and intact, and the dryer is working okay

Obviously there has been some considerable heat at the plug, is it time to bin the tumble dryer before the garage goes up!

Im just reading the instructions and it states that after use switch off and REMOVE PLUG which is have not been doing. is it normal for a plug to heat up, and would i be okay to put a new plug on and remove as instructed going forward

having considered your problem .. there are a number of reasons that it may overheat . but the obvious one is that the tumbler drier is a large electrical load . if it is 3 kw {3000 watt } model it is near the capacity of the socket . it would be best to have it plugged in by itself .
changing the plug and i suggest get rid of extension lead may be enough . if in doubt a competent electrician with the right equipment could check it .
point with extension lead is that if there is damage to the plug it will have damage where it was connected . ie the extension

Yes I concur. I hope the extension lead was unwound otherwise its innards will be likely melted!

Sponsored Links
Hi

just had a butchers at the tumble dryer, its 2400 watts, and correct the extension lead is well hammered, the live hole is round! and gone purple!!
i will change the plug and extending lead. im a bit surprised the fuse did not blow, any thoughts?

IMHO only "MK" plugs with the screwdown connections are the only type that will handle that sort of current for any length of time.. Extensions of ANY type where always frowned on when I did Washing machines for a living.. As a matter of course our installers would NOT connect a machine to any sort of flying lead...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back