Miele T650C tumble dryer tripping out RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
My tumble drier has always been connected to the 40A kitchen RCD. Just recently, the dryer has been tripping out the circuit when it reaches the heating cycle. If i switch the dryer to cool air only, it's fine.
I've tried plugging in to another circuit but get the same result, after about a minute into the cycle, the cct trips.
I guess it's a problem with the heating element, but how do i gain access to it ?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
On your model the heater is accessed from inside the drum. You need a set of metric allen-keys & a torch. Look carefully at the large circular back-plate with holes in it. It either has 6 removable studs around the outer edge, or one (or more) of the air holes is larger than the others which allows access to them. You may have to rotate the drum to line-up the screws. Once the plate is removed you will see the element behind it.

Thanks Zipper, without your advice i would have never guessed how to access the element. I had to remove the 6 screws around the edge of the disc and then, as you said, line up the holes in the centre part to access the 2 allen bolts. I found i had to have the 2 holes aligned horizontal, and then after clearing away all the crap, i could see the bolts with the help of a torch.
Once removed, there was another plate which also needed removing (4 hex bolts) which then gave access to the heater module. It was quite tricky working inside the drum, especially removing the wire harness.
Once out, i could see the NTC and thermostat which you identified in another post.
However i could find nothing wrong, the thermostat and NTC were in spec.
I also rigged up the element on a workbench and connected it to power. It heated up as expected without tripping anything.
I decided to put everything back as it was. To my surprise the tumble drier is now working perfectly !
Many thanks again.

Could be a damp element caused by a blocked airway or clogged pump.
If it happens again check both.

Sponsored Links
Hi, just thought I would let you know that I had same issue with RCD tripping out on all heating options but the cool air worked ok. Turned out to be a damp heating element - my engineer took the element out, cleaned the fluff from all areas around it and on it etc and tested it by warming the element with a hair dryer on hot setting and then using a voltage meter checked that the reading on the element electrical fittings increased gradually.

As the setting did increase it proved the element was working and that it was just damp. He got the setting up to a reasonable level and then put it all back together and we ran it empty for 30 minute warm air cycle to finish drying it out and it seems to now be working absolutely fine! £50 for the entire job! Hope it helps and if you are in Berkshire area and need a top enginner for white goods, I can strongly recommend one! Just e-mail me direct for his details.

Hi, just thought I would let you know that I had same issue with RCD tripping out on all heating options but the cool air worked ok. Turned out to be a damp heating element - my engineer took the element out, cleaned the fluff from all areas around it and on it etc and tested it by warming the element with a hair dryer on hot setting and then using a voltage meter checked that the reading on the element electrical fittings increased gradually.

As the setting did increase it proved the element was working and that it was just damp. He got the setting up to a reasonable level and then put it all back together and we ran it empty for 30 minute warm air cycle to finish drying it out and it seems to now be working absolutely fine! £50 for the entire job! Hope it helps and if you are in Berkshire area and need a top enginner for white goods, I can strongly recommend one! Just e-mail me direct for his details.

Hey I've just had this too with older model T270C. Dampness causes electrical leakage to earth and trips RCD. Hairdryer treatment for 5 mins on the heater and all good. Thanks for the tip!
T

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back