Tripping the residual current circuit breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two weeks ago the residual current circuit breaker kept tripping out when I turned the tumble dryer on. Just incase it was a faulty socket I tried it in different sockets around the house but to no avail. Two days later the problem seemed to disappear and the dryer worked fine. Now two weeks later the washing machine seems to causing the residual current circuit breaker to trip. On inspection there appears to be carbon build up around the motor of the washing machine, either a cause or a result of the RCCB tripping. Now the tumble dryer which was running quite happily has tripped the RCCB during mid cycle. Now neither appliance will work without the RCCB tripping. Am I just unlucky and have both appliances failed together or is the problem the household electrics?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
clean the carbon from the motor, (its common, as your motor brushes wear down, they create "carbon dust") it will allow it to short to earth, but do unplug it first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back