Electra Reversair Tripping Main Circuit breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help

My daughter had her electrics trip. By the time I got there my Son in Law had discovered that the tumble dryer was tripping the circuit breaker (main not just the individual circuit) even if the wall socket was turned off. I suspect an earth to neutral short in the tumble drier but where should I start looking?

The make is Electra Reversair.

Please note - in desperation I have also posted this on another forum. Daughters can be so demanding :confused:

Sponsored Links
Supply cable for mechanical damage, heating element, wiring harnesses fixed to the frame.

Many thanks JJ will get over there today (Son in Law at work so not bothering me with questions and not waiting for answers) and see if anything is obvious.

Am I correct that a direct short between earth and the neutral could cause this?

One problem is that the previous owner but one was an electrician (not sure if this is true but is what they were told) and the circuit protection zones are a bit hazy due to extensions etc. I guess the first thing is to check the obvious and make sure the sockets are connected the correct way around.

Sandy Beech said:
Am I correct that a direct short between earth and the neutral could cause this?
Not if the socket switch is wired correctly, and is double-pole, and is turned off!

If you unplug the appliance, does the RCD still trip?

If it does, then it's not the dryer.

If it doesn't, then you might have two faults.

Sponsored Links
Sandy Beech said:
Not if the socket switch is wired correctly, and is double-pole, and is turned off!

If you unplug the appliance, does the RCD still trip?

If it does, then it's not the dryer.

If it doesn't, then you might have two faults.
No the circuits are fine until the dryer is plugged in. I checked it roughly today and there is a leakage to earth within the drier. All safely disconnected before hand.

Son in Law (amazingly) has suggested they get a replacement as - now they tell me - it has been less than efficient for a while.

Many thanks for all advice.

No the circuits are fine until the dryer is plugged in. I checked it roughly today and there is a leakage to earth within the drier.
I don't understand how this leakage can occur with the socket switched off.

No the circuits are fine until the dryer is plugged in. I checked it roughly today and there is a leakage to earth within the drier.
I don't understand how this leakage can occur with the socket switched off.
Hi There is a leakage path within the dryer - not large but definitely there once door is shut with a programme selected..

I agree I do not understand why it triggers the RCCB if the Switch is off Unless there is another fault though I do not like double faults as they rarely happen. They need to get the ring main [and sockets] looked at as it may have its own problem.

I agree I do not understand why it triggers the RCCB if the Switch is off Unless there is another fault
And yet you've left in a potentially dangerous state. :rolleyes:
THe washer dryer is isolated. The RCCB trips as it should - how is that leaving it in a dangerous state? The socket used is for the dryer only and the alternative sockets are not used as they are extremely difficult to reach due to changes in the layout since the units were installed. They moved into the house just before Christmas and need to get a registered Sparky in to get the electrics checked out using equipment I do not have to hand.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back