Hotpoint WD61 tripping circuit breaker.

jar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have an ongoing problem with our Hotpoint Aquarius 1100 (WD61) washing machine in that it regularly trips the circuit breaker of the mains socket it is connected to.

Originally the problem only happened during a drying cycle so we weren't too bothered as we could live without the dryer.

Now it trips 8 or 9 times out of 10 and it's usually at the end of the cycle just before the door release kicks in.

I've just fitted a new door release switch as I'd seen references to this causing problems elsewhere. Initially I thought this had fixed it but it is still tripping.

But if we plug the machine into the socket at the cooker, which may have a higher rating of circuit breaker, it doesn't trip. Or hasn't yet - can't be 100% sure it won't.

The problem we have is that every socket in the house seems to be on the same circuit so when it trips everything plugged into a socket in the house goes off. For one thing it's a complete pain and I'm sure something is going to get fried eventually. My other thought is - is it normal for every socket in the house to be on the same circuit breaker ?

Anyway - back to the machine itself. Anyone have any suggestions or is it time for a new machine ?

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
In answer to the tripping of the normal circuit.

You will probably find your sockets are protected by an RCD which is tripping due to a fault to earth on your washing machine.

In quite a few installations the cooker and lights will not be fed from RCD protected circuits. These trip on a live to neutral fault and will rarely trip on an earth fault. Hence why the machine does not trip the cooker circuit.

Typical reasons for tripping RCD are
Door interlock
Heating element (wash and or dryer elements)
Motor either damp or worn brushes/commutator
Mains suppressor
Worn/damaged wiring loom

also check wiring harness on top of the motor chaffs on the motor bracket.and on the right hand side of the cabinet .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back