burned wire in the immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have replaced an immersion heater a few months ago, and recently it stopped working. The wire connecting the thermostat to the immersion heater was burned as on the attached picture. This wire was connecting the thermostat to the immersion heater in the newly bought immersion heater. I can detach it from the thermostat but it is permanently fixed to the immersion heater.

What is the best way of fixing this. I thought of buying another immersion heater (so that I can get the same thermostat and wire) and replacing the thermostat. The difficulty I am having is that the wire is permanently fixed to the immersion heater and I do not know how i should be attaching it.

Thanks,
Charles[/img]

Sponsored Links
I would think the element has shorted? Check if you want with an ohmmeter. but you need a new immersion and find out why it burned the wire before installing a new one. Covered under warranty if you still have the docket?
Could have been quite dangerous/fire hazard, funny the MCB didn't trip?

Sorry the post above is completely wrong.

The wire has burned out due to a duff connection between the wire and the thermostat. This is a connection that you should have made, so it is not a warranty defect.

There has been no shorting, and there has been no overcurrent, so of course the MCB didn't trip.

There was no real danger or fire hazard either.

Unfortunately, the wire is welded onto the immersion heater tail, and can not be replaced, and due to the heat damage of the existing wire, you will never be able to make a reliable connection onto it.

Your only option is to replace the whole immersion heater including the rod stat and make sure all your connections are done up properly this time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back