immersion fault

Hello All,
Immersion heater tripping the main switch RCD.

All fixed wiring checked and confirmed sound.
Immersion Flex sound.
Thermostat sound.

Connected immersion without earth, still tripped.
Next action as above, with earthing conductor and main bonding disconnected, still tripped.

Immersion works with no RCD, any ideas, suggestions?
Umm...

Did you happen to notice if the immersion heater was sitting in any water, which might have been in a large metal container, which might have been connected via metal pipes to an earth somewhere?

Bit of a long shot, I know, but sometimes people are daft enough to do that with immersion heaters, and then that can provide a path for current to flow to earth if the element casing becomes faulty.

Sponsored Links
BAS
When i seen that you replied to my post i thought here we go, somebody else to jump on the im a better spark than you wagon, which is notoriously rife on this forum.
I stand corrected, good observation.
It actually did cross my mind, i looked for that, also thats one of the reasons i disconnected all bonding and cpc to test for something like that.
I think martin is spot on with his observations.
Thankyou anyway....

You simply cannot do live testing in this way, if you are trying to do testing in peoples houses then you need to have the proper equipment and also have a clue about what you are doing.

john its not testing it is called fault finding FFS....
I will send you a piccy of my 1502 and a copy of my 2391....
Not that i have to justify myself to you or anybody else, i came on this forum to cross reference, i know whats dangerous and whats not dangerous thankyou very much...
PS, Jobs sorted, thanks everybody........

Not that i

Sponsored Links
My wife usually has her bath about 20:00

We have a metal bath that I really must get round to earthing!

Anyhow, my immersion heater is playing up, could you come over about 20:05 and fault find for me?

I would be happy to pay a little extra.

Please make sure your PL insurance is up to date.

See you later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back