Burnt wall socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice

I was using my hob when just after I could smell burning, I went to switch it off on the wall, however the switch was solid and wouldn’t move, I had to really force it up and noticed the switch has started to melt and turn black

Any idea of what the cause can be?

433279AA-2169-4933-8FB1-4BDCDB669F50.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Probably a loose connection inside. However it will now need replacing along with any damaged cable involved.

Loose connection behind the socket? Could a faulty hob cause it?

Sponsored Links
That plug was wired in years ago, the TV always flickered everytime you switched the hob on and off but other than that it’s been fine

Are you looking for someone to tell you something different? Up to you...

The red switch looks like its made by Varilight, there a budget brand, it may be just worn out due to switching quite a high load appliance

I didn’t realise varilight was a budget brand as the sockets were fairly dear compared to the rest, what brand do you recommend?

I didn’t realise varilight was a budget brand as the sockets were fairly dear compared to the rest, what brand do you recommend?

Dont get me wrong theres nothing wrong with most of the budget less known makes
Varilight are more known for there light switches which are among the best on the market.
Most of what you paid was for the finish, the inside electrics are likely the same as on a white version thats a quarter of the price.
I myself have budget range Black nickel sockets as they were remarkably less cost than a well known brand.
To be honest theres not much in it now regarding the electrics in all of them, Mk dont seem as good as they were.
I would say most accessories are purchased nowadays for the style of finish

Screw connections for hobs and showers need to be checked and tightened regularly, they just gradually loosen due to the heating and cooling.
You should have it checked at the consumer unit end as well when you get that one replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back