Burst Pipe 3 bar pump spraying water all over the place.

I replaced a pump apart from it being half a bar more, it kept hunting despite all air purged. Upon contacting technical they advised me to put a check valve on the hot as pump not the first tee off hotwater cylinder.

I then get a split pipe when pump is static and because i have used plastic i am deemed some kind of idiot. I posted as i want to ensure the problem is resolved. If its my fault then pardon me i will rectify it, for your info i have already removed all water from carpet and have dehumidifiers coming in tomorrow morning to remove all moisture. Why are nearly all plumbers so anal to other plumbers.

Oh how many plumbers use plastic?

Sponsored Links
its not the plastic , its the non return valves that are the problem, the mi,s read in big print "do not install non return valve,or devices which contain non return valves in the suction (inlet) pipework to the pump," you made a mistake but I think most posters were trying to help you.

Anyway thanks to all that have contributed to this post. One thing is true we all lead boring lives to be on here rantinv and raving on a saturday hitting the refresh key!!!

Sponsored Links
Why are nearly all plumbers so anal to other plumbers.

What a rude little man.

If you actually bothered to read mine and others answers you will find they were actually telling you what to do to rectify the problem.

I haven't once mentioned the plastic pipe, i think if it had been copper you may well have had a similar issue - depending whether it really was the pressure that burst it or whether it was a piece of dodgy pipe.

In my opinion, in the right situation plastic is perfectly acceptable - and this post should not get into ANOTHER debate over plastic v copper.

I think most people were frankly surprised that you ignored the MI's very clear instructions. As far as i can see most people were trying to be constructive and point out where the issues were and I went as far as to go to the effort of copying something out of the salamander manual for your convenience!

To then openly state that you rushed the job and squeezed it in is in my small opinion frankly stupid! But that is as I said, MY OPINION which I believe I am allowed to voice.

Furthermore - it is irresponsible to replace a pump that you know to be installed correctly - due to a poor plumber prior to you installing it incorrectly, and you not bothering to correct his mistake of the incorrect installation location, you are now suffering the consequences of this. Not only did you fit a NRV in a place where the MI's instructions specifically tell you not too, but on top of that you (should) have signed the installation guarantee papers for the customer stating that its all been installed within their recommended parameters.

I am not trying to have a go at you, I am trying to point out your mistakes so that hopefully you will be ahead of the game when the insurance/customer come calling. I assumed that this was what you posted for.

If you had installed the pump with dedicated feeds from the DHWC and CWSC as is required by most MI's instructions we would not be having this conversation now - the pump would be working perfectly - but because you decided to rush the job and just replace what was already there we are in this position.

I guess this perhaps highlights the fact that we should do a job properly, charge for it properly, and make sure it is done right - customers are after all paying for our expertise and knowledge. If they don't choose to listen/accept or pay for it then unfortunately situations like this could occur. I personally prefer never to get call back and would rather spend the time getting the job done correctly.

Ok - sorry, I know thats a bit of a rant - but I found that quite offensive from the OP at his ungratefulness. I will now get on with my fun evening of hitting the refresh button on here - but it does beat listening to the wife moaning on at me to re-do our bathrooms ;)

OP hope that clarified things - good luck getting it all sorted.

Could someone explain to me in simple terms (be gentle ;) ) why a nrv should not be installed and why this may have caused the damage? Please try to avoid "because the MI says so" type argument.

Would the hunting be prevented by putting an expansion vessel on pump input? (Only asking cos I had a similar problem with combi firing up every time I flushed the loo- cured with small ev on the cold supply just before the combi)

Good point OBnD but ........you were 12 years younger when this thread started;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back