Burst service pipe, 100-year-old house, London E11 (panic!)

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
This is a house I am looking after for an aged relative

the underground pipe (after the meter and our stopcock) is leaking very badly. Has flooded next door's cellar. Water Co has identified that it is clean mains water (no soap or sewage) and that it is in the pipe under the gravel drive or the concrete oversite slab of the front room ( pipe comes up in back corner of front room), it has a suspended timber floor above the concrete (which is quite a thick slab as the room was at one time converted to an integral garage, then back to a room).

luckily the house is currently unoccupied so no trouble having the water off, so it is not an urgent emergency, I have time to think about it calmly.

So I suppose I have to find a plumber that doesn't mind digging trenches, or perhaps use a moling company. Or can I have an insulated pipe in the floor void?

I will not be able to travel to the house and look around for a few days. Am on good terms with the flooded neighbour who luckily has a cellar pump and has been showing the seepage man external our stopcocks so he can test

I don't suppose there is any scope for an insurance claim but can I get a contribution as it is a lead pipe? Water is on a meter and lots has gone through.

Any other suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Building insurance policies often cover water damaged caused by a leak, especially to third parties.

In terms of replacing the pipe, Thames Water do offer a subsidy for work replacing the pipe between street stopcock and inside of house.

Have the water co suggested lining the pipe? They often do, but I'm unsure of specifics. That would be the cheapest option probably.

If it has to be replaced, the "communication" pipe from the street has to be 750mm deep, but yes it can then go via a floor void.
It would probably be 25mm MDPE blue plastic, you'lll have seen about.

Your water co will suggest contractors to do the trenching and pipe laying bit if necessary.
Many won't use moles - too many disasters!

I have not heard of Thames Water doing a lead replacement or a repair for free for some time.

It may be Three Vallies who seem particularly unhelpful

I dont see anything wrong with moling. It would be a good opportunity to get a nice 25 mm pipe ready for a combi boiler.

Molers will often do the whole job. Probably about £500-£1500.

Tony

Sponsored Links
anyone know a moling plumber that covers London E11?

I have a number of a moler who used to work for a Thames Water contractor but has now gone self employed.

He is in Hertfordshire but works over most of the central and northern areas. Email the distance involved and I will ask him if he is interested and roughly what it might cost. Whats the full postcode? I went to E11 this morning!

Tony

I have a number of a moler who used to work for a Thames Water contractor but has now gone self employed.

He is in Hertfordshire but works over most of the central and northern areas. Email the distance involved and I will ask him if he is interested and roughly what it might cost. Whats the full postcode? I went to E11 this morning!

Tony

From TW website:

"How we can help if you have a leak

If we confirm that you have a leak on your supply pipe - which is the homeowner's responsibility - we can help you in three ways:
1. Subsidising the replacement or repair of your pipe

We offer domestic customers a subsidy of £ 215 to fully replace the supply pipe between the edge of the public highway and the inside stop valve, or £ 95 for a single repair.

The subsidy only applies if this is the first time you have experienced a leak. Therefore, if you choose to only repair the leak rather than replace the pipe, we will not offer you a further subsidy if you experience another leak in the future."

I dont see anything wrong with moling.
Duh!!

They go through ANYTHING including drains, elecrtic suppllies, and gas supplies. Which are NOT always easy to locate with a CAT.
Obviously you've never been involed in this sort of work!

Some councils have banned moles.

But not Mole Valley District Council presumably?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back