Burying pipe in the wall for shower - copper or plastic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm renovating the bathroom and we've decided to stick a thermostatic shower in seeing as we've just changed the boiler to a combi and we're now getting decent pressure.

It's going on a thermalite wall and I'll be using the following method to make it work http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Install_Bar_Shower_Valve_-_in_solid_wall,_copper_pipe

I would have bought the fixing brackets but the wall isn't amazingly deep but it'll be tiled with 10mm tiles so I should be ok for depth.

I'll be teeing off of the bath tap supplies but the question is, copper or plastic?

1 - Will it be ok to substitute the bath supplies for plastic, it'll need to run the length of the bath (under the bath, not floorboards) from the other end where it's connected to the sink/toilet.

2 - Is plastic ok to bury and plaster into the wall for the shower or should I go with copper and solder some elbows on where the mixer is to join the pipe? I'm a bit paranoid about leaks and I'm not sure if I trust buried pushfit plastic.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Do all your hidden pipework in copper soldered.

What do you mean 'substitute the bath supplies for plastic? Change all the pipework or T off and go from there in plastic?

Personally I would do the lot in copper soldered. You will be less likely to have to go back to a leaking joint that way.

I meant currently the supplies, hot and cold are both copper with flexis but the new bath will have taps at the other end so I was going to cut the pipe and use an elbow to go from copper to plastic which would be run under the length of the bath.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back