burying pipes in copper floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I just want to make sure I'm doing this correct. I've got a hot and cold pipes that are going in a solid uninsulated floor in the kitchen. I've dug down to the dpm layer, about 3 1/2"

I was going to wrap the pipes with corrosion resistance tape and then add insulation around them.

Then pack around it with building sand and then screed over.

Does that sound correct. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Insulation only is ok if you're putting sand around it. Copper doesn't corrode in normal concrete or mortar anyway.

Not strictly true.

Copper will corrode very well if there are any traces of dampness!

Tony

We've had copper pipe supplying water to our house for the last 56 years. It was fine when dug up in 2013. Unless you're anticipating chemical attack or running water I wouldn't worry.

Sponsored Links
http://tinyurl.com/qc37jnx

Copper (Cu)
Copper embedded in concrete and/or mortar is usually roof flashing. Embedded copper is practically immune to reaction with corrosive alkalis, even if exposed to constant moisture. Copper will not react with dry, hardened concrete and/or mortar. Rainwater leaching, however, may bring chlorides in contact with the metal. Corrosion may occur and result in a green discoloration or runoff. Consequently, chloride admixtures should not be used in concrete if contact with copper is expected.

Ask any 'time-served' plumber (we know how old we are and how many years in the trade we have under our belts), and ask if they have any unprotected copper tube under the concrete screeds in their gaffs.

Sheez, its not just the cooks sieve effect we constantly find, the expansion/contraction that causes the pipe to become work-hardened and brittle is also very conducive to failure...

as a minimum, duct tape as a first layer and either the tubular or hair-felt tube type to allow room for movement.

DH

http://tinyurl.com/qc37jnx

Copper (Cu)
Copper embedded in concrete and/or mortar is usually roof flashing. Embedded copper is practically immune to reaction with corrosive alkalis, even if exposed to constant moisture. Copper will not react with dry, hardened concrete and/or mortar. Rainwater leaching, however, may bring chlorides in contact with the metal. Corrosion may occur and result in a green discoloration or runoff. Consequently, chloride admixtures should not be used in concrete if contact with copper is expected.

I once removed a gas pipe that passed through a damp brick wall unsleaved. When it was removed it was like a teabag so your post I'm afraid is garbage.

We've had copper pipe supplying water to our house for the last 56 years. It was fine when dug up in 2013. Unless you're anticipating chemical attack or running water I wouldn't worry.

Underground copper is much thicker than standard copper pipe though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back