Butane gas indoors

I didn't test internal joints on a brand new cooker. Neither did the qualified gas fitter who did the last one. I should add that hundreds of people do similar installations when they go camping or caravanning and it isn't such an unusual thing to do.

Sponsored Links
I didn't test internal joints on a brand new cooker. Neither did the qualified gas fitter who did the last one. I should add that hundreds of people do similar installations when they go camping or caravanning and it isn't such an unusual thing to do.

How do you know he didn't check it ?

It isnt done with soapy water, and you think that just because a cooker is brand new that theres no chance it will have any leaks on it ?

I should add that hundreds of people do similar installations when they go camping or caravanning and it isn't such an unusual thing to do.
also camping stoves are made for self connection, domestic cookers aren't and in fact it's illegal to fit your own gas appliance unless you are deemed competent, using soapy water would immediately say you are not competent.

You appear to be obsessed with soapy water. I didn't mention soapy water anywhere in my posts, neither did I say I did the testing or what was used. I have done nothing illegal and that is my last word on the subject. I'm no longer watching this thread and will not post further replies.

Sponsored Links
You appear to be obsessed with soapy water. I didn't mention soapy water anywhere in my posts, neither did I say I did the testing or what was used. I have done nothing illegal and that is my last word on the subject. I'm no longer watching this thread and will not post further replies.
If you fitted the cooker yourself you did do something illegal, saying you won't post again simply proves you know you did wrong, if you do post again maybe you could explain how you did test it if you didn't use soapy water ?

Perhaps a bit late in the day but in defence of Merlin whose comment has been removed and remaining only a disputed quote from it, just last week I confirmed with Gas Safe, Calor, and a Gas Safe registered LPG fitter, as well as reading the actual written law, that you can remove and replace a butane flexible butane hose yourself (it is exempted in the written law) not surprising as you are obliged to check the hose condition regularly and change it when necessary.

It appears therefore that as long as you didn't touch the fixed part, if there is one, of the installation, if you can remove the flexible pipe yourself it follows you should be able to substitute an old Butane prepared cooker for a new one, just as you are able to fit the hose and cylinder you are using in an old heater to a new butane heater.
Nope completely wrong, you are allowed to change the hose as you stated but you are NOT allowed to fit a new appliance, new appliances can have internal leaks etc so require proper testing when installed just the same as nat gas, only of course butane is far more dangerous than nat gas.

it follows you should be able to substitute an old Butane prepared cooker for a new one, just as you are able to fit the hose and cylinder you are using in an old heater to a new butane heater.

Absolute nonsense " It follows........."
No it doesn't follow, When a new appliance is fitted its gas integrity and safety devices are checked as part of the commissioning procedure you cannot assume all is well with a new appliance from personal experience I have had brand new appliances that were dangerous when checked and had to be condemned.

You have jumped to a conclusion that is very dangerous if put in to practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back