Buy pre treated wood or treat it myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Going to build my son a climbing frame in the garden, i was going to build it out of 38 x 63 cls timber as it cheap and strong, however the pre treated stuff is twice the price of the untreated stuff.

The treated stuff is pressure treated with Tanalith E. Would this be sufficient to withstand the great british weather without additional treatment?

Or would it be a better/cheaper to buy untreated stuff and paint it or use danish oil something?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Anything timber buried in soil will rot .If you design it to free stand it can last longer.
Treated timber will last longer than any treatment you apply to cls

Either way you need to treat it with tanaline if you have a large tray to soak them in? But you still have to buy the stuff which isn't cheap.

When you dig the holes out, you could stick some course gravel underneath and around the posts a good layer, but it depends what movement it will have

Last edited:
Hi guys.

Going to build my son a climbing frame in the garden, i was going to build it out of 38 x 63 cls timber as it cheap and strong, however the pre treated stuff is twice the price of the untreated stuff.

The treated stuff is pressure treated with Tanalith E. Would this be sufficient to withstand the great british weather without additional treatment?

Or would it be a better/cheaper to buy untreated stuff and paint it or use danish oil something?

Thanks
Pressure treated means that the preservative is pushed into the wood under pressure and penetrates much further in than anything you can apply by hand.

Sponsored Links
In the gold ole days, when' knights was bold' they used to burn the ends of them. Not sure now effective that is or the use of creasote, nice and smelly and maybe not a good idea where kids are playing.

As lower says. Pressure treated will last longer.

If you are burying the timber then give the section to be buried an additional treatments of Bitchumastic (or a bitchummen / Creosote 50/50 mix) to stop it from rotting. Otherwise it's fencing 'soldiers' at the base of the legs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back