Treated timbers .. but which?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

*moved from 'building' - figured it's more of a carpenters question!*

Hey there all - finally getting round to building my new non-load bearing stud walls - but think I have encountered a clanger in my plan.

I was planning to use these 75*47mm treated timbers for my frame... However they when going to pick them up, they are in the "non structural - for decorative purposes" section of B&Q (they have moved since I made my first reccy)

Their in-store advert lists them as treated softwood timber - ideal for outdoor use. No mention of being kiln dried, suitable for internal use or stud wall construction.

I wonder if not being dried means they will warp and twist when drying out and crack the plaster?

The other type of wood I have seen is 'carcassing' timber. Would something like this be OK for an internal stud wall between a study and dining room?

I really need to use treated timber, and I liked these bacause of the size - I am planning on hanging shelves of the new wall and their additional width gave me the impression they would be a bit stiffer than the 38mm 'stud' timbers

Will the B&Q 47*75mm be ok if I leave them to dry in-doors before boarding over them? It's not a particularly damp room - partition between dining room and study.

Cheers

whitling2k

Sponsored Links
Bit of advice...DON'T BY WOOD FROM B&Q...go for CLS from any local wood supplier, either 75 - or 100 mm, they won't actually measure these respective widths as that's what their dressed from, rather than the finished size, everything upstream from this also becomes easier. The resultant wall thickness (studs + p'board) gives you a broader choice of off the shelf door post widths fro instance. By the way CLS stands for 'Canadian Lumber Supplies' but like 'Hoover' is to vacuuming, has become a generic word to describe softwood studs of various lengths with tiny rounded corners and planed all round, so easy to handle...pinenot :)

P.S. non treated for exclusive internal use i.e. not in proximity of anything external is the general rule :!:

Thanks Pinenot

The treated timber is because I am rebuilding from quite a severe woodworm infestation - we're in an area quite susceptible to the little devils - so all new wood I am placing in ground floor of the house will be treated, MDF or chipboard.

I have had everything I can sprayed and DIY treated what I have exposed since the sprayers left - but as you probably know - the treatment only affects the top 3mm or so of the wood it actually makes contact with. Joints, covered timber, hard-to-reach areas and the inside of the timbers remain infested - so with more little buggers coming from the outside, and potentially a few stragglers from the inside- I'd rather not serve them a tasty untreated plank of wood.

I'll look to see if I can find any treated CLS planed and rounded. good point re: the 75. I've found a few dealers that sell 47*75 treated - sold as carcassing timber or regularised/treated - would you suggest I avoid these because they are not CLS?

Sponsored Links
No I wouldn't advise to avoid anything, that's your choice and yours alone. But be aware, not all treated timber is resistant to things like woodworm, most timber treatment is to protect against the elements i.e. moisture ingress not infestation, so best ask before you commit yourself, just to be on the safe side...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back