Buying a car online unseen and warranties.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As car dealers are rare and over priced where I'm living im thinking about buying from a distance. Anyone got any thoughts about having one delivered unseen? It would save time and bother. Auto trader say never buy without seeing the car except from dealers in their site who offer this service.
I've never even bought from a dealer before and bought my last 3 from auctions. (I took a gamble). So I'm a bit out my depth.
Also are their warranties any good? They seem a lot cheaper than buying one yourself. Not that I've ever done that either.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
i have read a few reviews of the online delivery dealers , where you have xxx days to return, but its impossible to get through to CS to exercise this option, maybe worth looking a trustpilot or other reviews of the company you may be consider using.

i guess if you purchase from an auction you are used to the risk and no warranty - why are you not thinking of doing the same again ?

Why not get another from auction? Buying unseen could be like getting an internet bride unseen. Could turn out to be an old banger.

Kent isn't far from london. Why not find some dealers in london and visit them, or ask them what they have got, or tell them what you are looking for?

As a day out you can go here: https://www.cargiant.co.uk. They have a large selection and prices should be keen.

i have read a few reviews of the online delivery dealers , where you have xxx days to return, but its impossible to get through to CS to exercise this option, maybe worth looking a trustpilot or other reviews of the company you may be consider using.

i guess if you purchase from an auction you are used to the risk and no warranty - why are you not thinking of doing the same again ?
I'm not in the mood for a gamble these days. I can't be doing with problems. And I'm not really good enough with a spanner.
I'll have a look on trust pilot thanks.
Why not get another from auction? Buying unseen could be like getting an internet bride unseen. Could turn out to be an old banger.

Kent isn't far from london. Why not find some dealers in london and visit them, or ask them what they have got, or tell them what you are looking for?

As a day out you can go here: https://www.cargiant.co.uk. They have a large selection and prices should be keen.
I'm not in Kent these days so it's more of a bother. I'll have a look that website though thanks.
I guess I was hoping that the dealers description would need to be accurate or id be covered with the delivery option.

Sponsored Links
Look at AA checked dealers, most will deliver . I bought online and paid on delivery after checking out vehicle .

I Think id only be comfortable buying from someone that has a return in x amount of days if not happy.
You always seem to miss something on an initial inspection, sometimes paint quality can be disguised with certain polishes which is a bit ott but im particular about bodywork condition.

It depends who you're buying from, check reviews and mot history.
Also, it depends what you're buying.
A runaround for a grand or so or a newish car in good conditions?
I would want to look and test drive a car which costs a few grand, but I've taken a gamble myself with a couple of old bangers in the past.
One happened to last 6 months, the other was a great car that served me well for 4 years.

As car dealers are rare and over priced where I'm living im thinking about buying from a distance. Anyone got any thoughts about having one delivered unseen? It would save time and bother. Auto trader say never buy without seeing the car except from dealers in their site who offer this service.
I've never even bought from a dealer before and bought my last 3 from auctions. (I took a gamble). So I'm a bit out my depth.
Also are their warranties any good? They seem a lot cheaper than buying one yourself. Not that I've ever done that either.
Cheers
how old a car are you looking at? If its still in the manufacturers warranty period and you buy from a proper main dealer, you should be fine.

how old a car are you looking at? If its still in the manufacturers warranty period and you buy from a proper main dealer, you should be fine.
Probably about 10 years. I was thinking of spending £5 to 6k. Having looked around it seems a little bit more would get something that's Euro 6 (ulez compliant).
I go to London only a few times a year so I don't particularly need ulez free but if more and more areas start doing something similar to ulez it's going to be a problem for people with diesels and no one will want to buy them. So I might spend a bit more than£6k.

I was thinking of spending £5 to 6k. Having looked around it seems a little bit more would get something that's Euro 6 (ulez compliant).
I go to London only a few times a year so I don't particularly need ulez free but if more and more areas start doing something similar to ulez it's going to be a problem for people with diesels and no one will want to buy them. So I might spend a bit more than£6k.

ULEZ is not just london now - its all outer london as well , so not far from North Kent now
sure other places will bring in over time

I Think id only be comfortable buying from someone that has a return in x amount of days if not happy.
You always seem to miss something on an initial inspection, sometimes paint quality can be disguised with certain polishes which is a bit ott but im particular about bodywork condition.
I had a look at auto trader's explanation page. They say you get plenty of time and you're covered by the 2015 act.
Also they say you have more rights of you don't view it before it's delivered. Then you get the cooling off period. But who knows how true that is.

I had a look at auto trader's explanation page. They say you get plenty of time and you're covered by the 2015 act.
Also they say you have more rights of you don't view it before it's delivered. Then you get the cooling off period. But who knows how true that is.
In theory it's all true, but dealers sell under a limited company.
If they happen to sell you a lemon and refuse to refund you, when you start court proceedings they close the company and reopen under a different name.
So you'll be suing a defunct entity without any assets = more money down the drain.
Unless we're talking about a well established dealer holding hundred of cars and having been in business for years (Car giant for example)

In theory it's all true, but dealers sell under a limited company.
If they happen to sell you a lemon and refuse to refund you, when you start court proceedings they close the company and reopen under a different name.
So you'll be suing a defunct entity without any assets = more money down the drain.
Unless we're talking about a well established dealer holding hundred of cars and having been in business for years (Car giant for example)
It would have to be a really tin-pot little outfit for it to be worth their while doing that for one car. Anyway, if you pay for any amount on a credit-card, the card company becomes liable for the full amount if you have grounds for a refund.

It would have to be a really tin-pot little outfit for it to be worth their while doing that for one car. Anyway, if you pay for any amount on a credit-card, the card company becomes liable for the full amount if you have grounds for a refund.
Lots of dealers only have a dozen or so cars on the go.
Last month I visited lots of them in search of a semi-decent ulez compliant car and I basically accepted that, despite the warranty promises, I was buying as seen.
Bigger dealers prices are at least 30% higher than smaller ones.

Sponsored Links
Back