Which to buy - Skoda Fabia Est 04 vs Honda Civic 00

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I appreciate that this is a bit of a stupid question! These are quite different cars on many levels, yet the missus and I are in the market for something new and have a keen eye on these two.....

- Skoda Fabia Estate 1.2 12V 2004. 34,000 miles on clock. £3k. From a dealer (1 yr warranty).

- Honda Civic Tropica SE 1.4 Hatchback. 2000 (X Reg). 37,000 miles on clock. £1,750. From a used car seller (3 mth warranty).

As they are quite different cars, I won't expect anyone to be able to tell me which would be most suitable from a size, features, etc point of view.

But if anyone would choose one over the other for any other reason it would be great to hear from you. I guess I'm talking about things like reliability, value for money and any other factors you might think significant.

Cheers

Max

Sponsored Links
I like VAG stuff, as you probably know Skoda are in that group, even if they are a poor relation to the big boys. But, I think its a bit expensive, that dreaded Estate word means you will have it for ever. Or loose a packet on it if you want to trade up.
If you could get a 1,4TDi Fabia you would be laughing, had you a look around? I'm guessing most of the 3k is for the 12 month warranty, which if its from bumper to bumper (everything) isn't bad. At least you will have peace of mind?

The Honda are good motors, if a little expensive to fix, after Christmas you are on your own, how do you feel about that?

Don't get carried away with the main dealer facade, just cowboys in nice clothes. More often a smaller garage will appreciate your business more

Good luck. with whichever one you decide

The Honda is the better car, but its getting on a bit.....
Bear in mind, if you buy it and you don't like it you'll be able to re sell without losing too much.
John :)

Thanks for the responses.

With regards the age, do you think it matters that it is getting on a bit seeing as it has only done 37k? Or to put it more generally, are there disadvantages to a car that it old but has done relatively low mileage?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I think you can buy with safety really.....what you don't want is a vehicle thats only had short runs in first gear.....!
Therefore - the clutch should be nice and light, the gears are really positive on these, sticking out of the dash and are cable operated.
Verify the mileage as far as you can with old MOT certificates.
Timing belt is due at 72k or 8 years (its not badly stressed, this one).
There should be no oil leaks, but coolant changes are recommended due to the complete alloy construction.
A few of these cars had whiny diffs and front brake squeal is common but easy fixed.
Dead easy to service, these....and thats all I can remember!

I`d say the Honda - it`s my heart talking ;) I`ve seen them sweep the board with their engineering since the 70`s . And a M8 of mine has dabbled in a few skodas - pre and post VAG . Yes I`d go for the Honda - good that burnerman knows about them hands on . I`d check it over with regard to the coolant , usually gets left on most cars :rolleyes:

One of the reasons I changed my 04 Fabia VRS - rust on the rear arches :eek:
Curiously enough, an 07 Roomster was showing the same problem.
Not what you want to see.

Hi all

Thanks for all the help and for sharing your thoughts.... The Honda sold and so we ended up going for the Skoda.

A few people thought it was a bit expensive, but we have/had been hunting for similar Skodas and from what we could see ours seemed quite cheap. There were others for sale at the same price which were the same year but had done 80k+ miles and did not come with a year's warranty (some had none at all, some had 3 months). In fact, some of them were around the £3500 mark.

So for peace of mind's sake and for general interest it would be good to hear further thoughts on whether the car was a good price or over priced at £3k.

Many thanks

Max

A car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, therefore if you are happy with your Skoda for £3k then it was worth it.

I'd stop worrying and start enjoying owning your new car personally.

Second that - enjoy the new motor :p
Post back if you find unexplained wetness in the rear footwells someday....

Nice motor, my niece has her eye on one at the minute.

Enjoy............

My Flabbia VRS diesel was probably the best car I've ever owned.....130 BHP, 6 speed and torque that could pull your teeth out. Cheap, too.
So, they stopped making them......Gun, Foot, Bang :p

Sponsored Links
Back