Buying a house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All again,

Right I am buying a house, and getting a home buyers report done this week. The house has had a new kitchen fitted maybe no more than 2 years, what documentation should I be looking for on the electrical side?

Any pointers would be great.

Cheers,
Will

Sponsored Links
The person who does the survey does not normally inspect the electrical system other than a visual inspection of items than can be accessed without damaging anything in the property. Loose floor boards may be lifted to look at cables. Unlikely that nailed down floor boards will be lifted.

He can only report on what he sees and that will be an informed opinion. Even a full test of the electrics will not reveal bad workmanship and failure to comply with BS7671.

Only by having total and justified trust in the person who installed it can the buyer be certain of the state of the electrics.

It is a case of buyer beware..

Right I am buying a house, and getting a home buyers report done this week.
This will tell you nothing about the electrics except what is blindingly obvious.
The house has had a new kitchen fitted maybe no more than 2 years, what documentation should I be looking for on the electrical side?
If any circuits have been added or altered in the kitchen there should be an Electrical Installation Certificate.
It should also have been notified to Building Control and, if done by a registered installer there is likely to be a building regulations compliance certificate, issued by the registration body.
(Your surveyor will not discover any of this, by the way.)

Cheers guys,

Interesting stuff, so all these rules and Part P etc, how does this help me confirm everything is upto spec?

Would I be better getting a sparks in to do a check?

Just trying to be sure everything is good, my 1st house and all that.

Cheers,
Will

Sponsored Links
You need a spark to carry out a PIR (periodic inspection and report) you agree the extent of the inspection/testing with the spark. It will not give a guarantee that everything is 100% correct, but more of an impression that it all seems ok, thats the best you can hope for.

Thank you :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back