Buying a new house - boiler and huge tank in the loft, should I be concerned?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
The other half and I are looking to move into a new property, after a recent survey we've noticed the boiler in the loft with a huge cylinder tank (megaflo heatrae sadia) up there.

It's a large house (5 bedrooms), when we checked the house warmed up well with all but 1 radiator on. The ensuite bathroom radiator wasn't on, the bottom pipes weren't even warm - the current home owners said it has never worked and last time they got a plumber to check it, they were told it wouldn't work due to the difficulty of the pipe work (seems a bit odd).

I've never seen a house with a boiler in the loft, it seems an odd arrangement, should I be concerned about it?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
Putting any part *of the water heating/storage system outside the insulated envelope of the house is a dumb idea in my book

* Heat pump external units and associated ancillaries being an exception

I've never seen a house with a boiler in the loft, it seems an odd arrangement,
My boilers have been in my loft since about 1992. Very convenient place to put them - if they are a heat only or system boiler. Some on here moan about having to go up in a loft to service a boiler but I’m the customer and I want it where it will be convenient for me for 365 days of the year, not where it’s convenient for the tradesman who comes for couple of hours at a time, once a year to service it!

IMG_5613.jpeg

My mate has his boiler in the loft too but he has a combi and it takes a minute or more for hot water to get all the way down to the tap in his kitchen sink so he invariably ends up washing his hands or a few cups and saucers, in cold water.

Last edited:
I've never seen a house with a boiler in the loft, it seems an odd arrangement, should I be concerned about it?
Not just because it is the loft, no. Make sure all of the pipework is well insulated.

Sponsored Links
Nothing to be concerned about its a very common place for a boiler to be fitted as it releases cupboard space within the house

As a side note, if a radiator is off from both valves you will not feel any heat on the pipework since there is no flow going through them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back